chapter five

AMELIE LOCKWOOD FOLLOWED Archer out of the building, leaving the threat of a brother and his friends alone in the kitchen. She shouted out his name, called out to him repeatedly, but the blond was too busy running his hands through his hair to notice. It wasn't until they were walking across the front lawn that Amelie caught up and pulled him back by his shoulder.

"Not now, Amelie-"

"What the hell was that?" She asked, beyond confused and slightly agitated. Archer looked at her before immediately darting his eyes away. 

"I- I don't know, okay? I'm just . . . I'm just really on edge right now," he said, his voice slowly morphing into a quiet mumble. Amelie sighed, closing her eyes as the sound of someone throwing up in a pot plant further down the driveway reached her ears. She shuddered.

Archer glanced back at her as soon as she opened her eyes again, biting the inside of his left cheek. He adjusted his stance. "Was it him?"

Amelie furrowed her brows. "Who? What?" She questioned, crossing her arms due to the sudden chill in the air and the mere fact that his dodge of subject had just occurred.

"Billy. Is that who you ran into?" He asked, his eyes bright in the moonlight.

Amelie pursed her lips, looking off to the side for a second before glancing back. "Look, maybe, but why does it matter?"

Archer's jaw tensed slightly. "And what did he do?"

Amelie let out a short breath. "It doesn't matter. I told you I handled it, and I did." 

"I know, I know," he said quietly as he stepped closer, placing both his hands on either of her shoulders. She looked up at him, her eyes subtly widening. She tried to hide the subconscious affect his touch held upon her. "I trust that you did, Lia, I do. Just . . . please, what did he do to you?"