chapter four

ARCHER WAS TIRED. He was tired of listening to Steve and Nancy's incessant flirting while being the only one out of the small group otherwise present. They were leaning against the door, Steve's arm resting above Nancy's shoulder, as they stared longingly into each other's eyes. Archer rolled his own away, taking a sip of his drink before scanning the room.

To distract himself from hoping for the appearance of a certain brunette teen, he locked eyes with someone who'd already been staring his way. He debated within his head whether or not to venture over. Usually, he would go over within a heartbeat. That was Archer's thing, Steve would always say. Archer went for every girl who had a heartbeat, but then, at that party, he felt different. While he slowly, hesitantly, walked towards the other wall the girl staring was waiting by, he told himself it was because Amelie was new.

He just wanted to make sure she was okay. She didn't seem like the party type, anyway. It wasn't because he cared about her above the normal means, not at all. It wasn't because he felt his heart start to thump that little bit harder whenever she walked into a room. It wasn't because he was eagerly awaiting her arrival. Maybe he was, but that was only so he could make sure she didn't do anything that would get him arrested. Barbara. He felt abnormal because of Barbara, and the controversy that surrounded the late girl. That's the problem. That's what he told himself was the problem.

"Hey, Leia," Archer said slowly as he slowed to a stop in front of the costumed girl. Her white dress brushed against the floor as she adjusted her stance, raising a brow seductively.

"Hey, Robin," she replied smoothly, her eyes trailing down his figure. "You look familiar, are you in any of Tina's classes?".

"Uh, let me think." She tilted her head as he spoke, nodding at random in a way that even Archer, who was failing majority of his classes, could recognise was fake. Then, there she was again within his head. Amelie cared about what he said. Clearly, Princess Leia did not. Quickly, he shook the thought away and looked down at his fingers, beginning to count. "Biology, Geography, English, Trig. Yeah, just a few."