chapter seven

NOBODY WAS HOME. Amelie didn't know if she liked that fact or not. She was supposed to be in school, body leaning over her chemistry textbook as she jotted down notes and formulas in her afternoon study period. Instead, she had rushed home, her brain muddled and foggy as she stumbled along the sidewalk in a flash. Her skin felt like it was on fire. She could feel the blood in her body boiling to the point that it scarred her veins. She was scared that the door handle would melt in her hands when she grabbed it.

She didn't get a warning when there was a knock on the door. As the loud sound filled the house, her eyes widened and her head flicked up. Her heart froze. Why hadn't she felt it? Three seconds would have been enough to calm her racing mind. She silently dropped the clothes in her hand when they knocked again, louder and more urgent. She swallowed. She almost didn't want to know who it was.

She crept towards the window in the living room that overlooked the front door. She peered through the glass, shifting the curtain aside gently so she wouldn't be detected. She half expected an army to be pointing their weapons at the door. She expected that one man, with the greying hair and the smile that killed her, would be waiting patiently for her to follow him back to the area she'd fled. She expected the door to be shot off its hinges before the house was swarmed, and she'd be taken away from everything she wanted and placed in an area that was full of everything she knew.

Archer knocked on the door again. His cheeks were red, his hair messy and his face distraught. He almost didn't follow her, and technically he hadn't, before he remembered her words on the night of Tina's party. 53 Elm Street. He was almost confused on how he could remember that but not a simple maths equation for his upcoming test, but he pushed it aside when he pictured the girl with the long hair he wanted to twirl around his finger crying alone in her bedroom. No. Just the girl with the long hair.

Amelie almost cried harder when she saw the blond standing on her front porch. Somehow, it was worse. Even if she didn't want to be taken away, she almost felt like she deserved it. She belonged in The Lab. She'd been created and tested and experimented with to the point of no return. She moved away from the window and pressed her back against the wall, her hands rising to wipe her tears away. They trembled against her cheeks. She was too far gone. She'd tried to be normal and it'd backfired almost immediately.