chapter six

AMELIE WOKE UP with a bad feeling. It sank into her flesh, biting at the sides of her brain. It wasn't intense, but it was pulsing - neverending. It wasn't just something she could ignore.

Her knee bounced all through the first period as her heart panged worriedly. It grew worse after the break. She'd spent her time in the canteen biting her nails, eyes distracted by the clock on the wall. Everyone noticed. Steve, Archer. All of them. Her silence weighed so much that it cast a shadow over the group that was still fractured from the party the night before. Something none of them could pick apart.

"Are you alright, Milee?"

The girl slowly drew to a stop, looking over her shoulder. Nancy hurried towards her, eyes focused on her own, while she blindly shoved books into her bag. She huffed, sucking in a breath, before pausing beside the quieter teen.

Amelie didn't respond, only watched as Nancy hauled the heavy bag over her shoulder with a grunt. She sighed and made eye-contact with the girl. It took everything in Amelie to not look away.

Nancy already knew that she wasn't going to get anything out of the new girl. "Come on," she muttered, lightly patting her on the back of her shoulder with a smile. "Come with me."

Amelie let Nancy lead her down the hall. "Where are we going?"

"I need to talk to Steve."

Amelie knew what she was talking about. The drink. The fight. The bullshit. She looked away.

"Where were you today?" Nancy closed her mouth, her words falling off the edge of a cliff.

"Hangover," she muttered. She forced a laugh, an excuse that fell unheard. "You know how they are. Real killers."

"Nance," Amelie sighed. She stopped the girl, forcing her to move to the silent side of the hallway. She looked both ways, thankful for the deserted building, before poking the inner lining of her cheek with her tongue and glancing back. "I won't tell anyone. Not Steve."