Chapter Four

S2Ep3- help is not coming

Chapter Four
Greed

"GUNSHOTS at Montrose and Alvarado." Dispatch spoke over the radio as Athena and Hazel drove around the streets of LA waiting for something like this to happen.

"7-Adam-100 in route." Hazel stated, answering the dispatcher.

When the duo arrived at the small grocery store two other units had quickly put there vehicles in park and ready to do their job.

"LAPD," Athena calmly spoke as her and Hazel walked towards the crowd of people swarming the entrance of the store. "I need everyone to back up."

"Keep your hands where we can see them." Hazel added, stepping in sync with her partner.

Everyone raised their hands showing they had nothing but frustration and annoyance written on their faces.

"We ain't the ones shooting." A taller man told the officers.

When Athena and Hazel got sight of the owner they saw him holding a shot gun seemingly defending his store.

"Thank God." Herve exclaimed, putting the gun down and raising his hands in the air. "These people are crazy."

"you have a license for that?" Hazel pointed to the gun laying on the ground.

"Yes ma'am." The man answered. "I have all the paperwork in the back. I can't expect you people to be here all the time."

Hazel rolled her eyes at the comment but didn't say anything, she knew better than to share her words.

"All right," Athena voiced while other officers came walking into the small store. "well, we're here now. Tell me what's going on."

"Exactly what it looks like." Herve responded sounding  like it was obvious, which to an extent it was but the officers still had to ask. "They tried to loot my store. I thought the people in this neighborhood were decent folk, but apparently they think everything's free if an earthquake hits."

"Sergeant," Hazel muttered looking around the store and seeing it almost perfect, like no one touched anything. "This place doesn't look like anyone looted it, everything is still nicely stocked and there's items on the check out belt."

Athena nodded her head, agreeing with her partner. "Mhm." She hummed. "Hey joe, looters—they tend to bring stuff they want to steal to the register, do they?"

"I brought that stuff here." Herve told the officers.

Hazel scoffed. "Alright, when was that?" She inquired, her eyebrows rising.

"After you popped off your shotgun, you decided to tidy up a bit?" Athena added. "How much you charging for that case of water?"

Herve looked at the case of water bottles for a brief second then back to Athena and Hazel. "14.99." He answered, lying through his teeth.

"Liar." A very angry women snapped, pushing through the entrance of the store.

"Step back, ma'am." And officer told the women.

Athena shared a knowing glance with Hazel. "Hey, miss," she grabbed the women's attention. "How much was this man charging you for a case of water?"

"A hundred dollars." The woman spat.

"Supply and demand." Herve shrugged like it wasn't a complete ripoff and absurd.

"Are you any type of familiar with penal code 396, the anti-price gouging law?" Hazel asked, crossing her arms over her chest.