A Cursed Day

Dashanan paced up quickly, on his way back to Lanka.

He suddenly bumped into someone and tripped. He fell down with a loud thud, as his clothes and jewellery became dishevelled. He was furious and frustrated with the being who caused him to fall.

"Watch your step, you lousy animal!" He cussed.

The man was dressed in bark clothing, and had Rudraksha beads around His neck. He also wore a garland of bells. He was muscular and brawny and had a strong built. But His ears were peculiarly long and streamlined.

Like that of a bovine.

He turned around to face Dashanan. Anger reflected in His deep set eyes. 

Ravana immediately recognised Him as Lord Nandi, the Mount of Lord Shiva and an expansion of Himself.

"You ignorant fool! Ego has got into those ten heads of yours! I curse You that one day an army of animals shall destroy you and your entire kingdom will be burnt down by Vaanaras, the forest dwellers."

Ravana stood up in shock. He didn't see that coming. After a brief pause, he laughed it all off. He recalled how he had trapped the Nine Planets and could easily manipulate the future.

He had no fear of God. In his ten minds, he was God himself.

_____________________________________________

"Aum Namah Bhagwate Vasudevaye!"

She chanted the divine mantra of Lord Vishnu with full dedication. She hoped that He would soon appear and grant Her desire to be one with Him.

Her aura was so magnetic and Her incandescent glow prevailed, illuminating the entire forest. Ravana was attracted to the origin of the light beam, and just like every other thing, he wanted to possess it for himself.

He followed the path of the light, amidst the darkness of the forest. Though he sought the light, his mind and intentions were dark and evil. He saw a beautiful damsel, dressed in forest robes of an ascetic. She was meditating deeply with Her eyes closed.

Ravana stood in front of her, mesmerized by Her beauty. "A new damsel for my own. Maybe I can marry her. But wait, I don't need Her permission to take Her with me. Everything in this world already belongs to me. I shall take Her by force." 

He held Her hair, as he tried to drag Her by Her hair forcefully.  But She opened Her eyes when She felt his hand tugging Her hair.

"Fool, you have called for your own inescapable doom! You don't recognise Me, the Consort of Shree Hari! In My next birth, I shall be born as the cause of your death. But you've polluted My penance by touching Me. I thus end this body through my yogic powers."

She immolated Herself in flames produced by Her strong austerities. 

She had no relatives or family, as Her parents had been murdered on a doomed night. She was a magical child, born from the penance of Her father who was a Brahmarishi. As She recited the Vedas when She was born, She was named 'Vedavati.' With the blessings of Goddess Parvati, She performed penance to seek Lord Vishnu as Her husband.

Ravana was astonished at the unexpected happening. But he set up a facade and remained unmoved. He continued his travel through the path of the forest.

As he walked a few miles, his eyes wandered around. They caught the attention of Rambha, who was on Her way from Swarga, to the home of Her husband. She was the daughter-in-law of Ravana's half brother Lord Kubera and the wife of Nalakubera.

He found no medium to vent his lust and desire. And he desperately sought after Rambha, the celestial nymph and apsara of Heavens. She tried Her best to protest, but She couldn't win against the strength of the evil assailant. 

When Nalakubera heard about how His Wife was assaulted, He cursed Ravana. "May his head burst into a thousand pieces when he touched a woman forcefully against her will!"

Multiple curses doomed his day and were screaming misfortune. But he didn't care a bit. He went back home as carelessly as he had trodden out.

After all, who was to stop him. No one would dare to in the entire world.

।। श्री राम जय राम जय जय राम ।। ।। जय श्री सियाराम ।। ।। जय बोलो श्री राम लक्ष्मण जानकी जय बोलो श्री राम भक्त हनुमान जी की ।। 

।। जय श्री सियाराम ।। 
।। जय बोलो श्री राम लक्ष्मण जानकी 
जय बोलो श्री राम भक्त हनुमान जी की ।।