The Day Of The Swayamvar

Her heart raced in anticipation. It was finally the most awaited day.

The day of Her Swayamvar. The day She could choose Her Husband.

Or maybe Her Husband was already chosen by destiny.

She sat up straight in Her bed, looking outside the window at the golden sun rays which spread all over the balcony and the room. The room lit up and shimmered as if the walls were made of molten gold.

It was going to be a long day. With all the guests, and festivities, She also had to get ready and dress up in the finest jewellery and royal clothes.

Her daydreams were interrupted by a knock at the door. "Come in, please!"

Two beautiful women, dressed in ethereal clothes, entered the room. They were not familiar faces She had seen in the palace.

"Good morning Princess. The Queen has sent these clothes for You."

Special robes had been prepared for Her, selected by the Queen Herself. But the Queen was Herself busy with the other festivities, so She sent in someone else with the attire and jewellery to Sita's room.

Sita nodded Her head and welcomed them into Her room.

"It will take a long time to get ready, come let's start." One of the women said, as She folded the curtains and turned the blinds for more sunlight to come in.

Sita turned to face the woman. In the dreamy sunlight, She could see Her surreal face more clearly now. She was looking like a divine Goddess, who had descended on the earth, only to help Her dress up for the big day.

She wore a beautiful red saree, and was dressed in flower jewellery. Her face had very sharp features, with beautiful almond shaped eyes, golden skin and dark, wavy hair. The other woman looked like a spitting image of Her, the only difference being in their hair, skin tone and sarees. She had long, straight hair, pinkish skin like sandalwood, and wore a white saree threaded with gold.

"My obeisances to You! I sense that You're not a native of Mithila. You seem to be a divine being, and although I am unaware of Your identity, please bless Me so that everything goes well today. I am feeling extremely anxious." She said, looking at Her perspiring palms.

The woman touched Her forehead, in a gesture to bless Her. "Don't worry Sita, We are not unkown. In another realm, We are sisters."

She took out the clothes and jewellery for Her, and made Sita sit in a chair infront of the dressing table.

Quickly, with their apt hands and precision, They dressed Her up in no time.

And when She stood in front of the mirror to have a final look, beautiful Sita could not even recognise Herself.

"My God! You've made me look so beautiful!" She thanked Them.

The women giggled. "Oh no Sita! You're always so beautiful. It's just that maybe You're still unaware of who You are."

Sita looked concerned at the statement. "Unaware? Am I not the Princess of Videha?"

A sudden flash of light blinded Her for a moment. She could not see clearly, but whatever She could see, blew Her mind.

It seemed like She saw two apparitions of heavenly Goddesses. And from Her knowledge, She could decipher that one was Goddess Parvati and the other was Goddess Saraswati. And within seconds, the silhouettes disappeared.

She was surprised beyond understanding, but She was grateful for this beautiful sign from the Gods.