Chapter Two - Walking and Talking

~ song: the bug collector - haley henderickx ~

NEWT'S POV:

"We'll figure that out on the way, won't we, Love?" I asked, looking at the new girl. She nodded politely; this girl was rather quiet, but I understood why. Every single one of us had lost all of our memories after being sent up to The Glade and the fact she's the only girl must be quite puzzling, on top of all of that.

After saying goodbye to Alby, the girl and I started walking side by side, towards more of the buildings. "I assume you know my name?" I asked her, she looked up at me. "You're Newt." She stated. To my excitement, she had a British accent. Out of the 47 boys here, I was the only British one, but finally, there was someone else. "Well done," I congratulated her. She rolled her eyes, then smiled slightly, causing me to let out a laugh.

A moment of silence passed, which I was planning to break until the girl asked, "Why can't I remember anything?" I let out a sigh of relief after hearing this. Alby had spoken to me beforehand as he wanted me to start introducing the newbies because he had stuff to do and this was one of the questions he'd taught me how to answer. However, even though I was feeling confident about answering this question, the girl looked utterly lost. "It's okay, it happened to all of us," I began to talk, "The people that sent us here, they took our memories but you'll get your name back soon enough, I'm sure." I tried to sound reassuring but the same look was plastered on her countenance.

'HER' POV:

We continued to walk without talking. I couldn't physically produce a memory I'd had from before I'd been trapped in that box. Instead of focusing on the past, I started to bring myself back to the moment. "What are we meant to do here?" I asked Newt, who was staring off into the distance. He snapped back and looked at me. The boy was only a few inches taller than me but for him to face me, he would be looking down. "Over there," he pointed at a large wooden building in the centre of many other, "That's the Council Hall, where you'll almost always find Alby," He stated, looking back at me to check if I'd heard him. I nodded with a smile, gesturing for him to continue. "Then there's the Homestead," Newt pointed to a covered area where many hammocks had been tied to large stakes or trees, "Where all the boys sleep but I assume you'll be sleeping in a separate section," Once again, he looked at me and I nodded once more. "Over that way is the Gardens and the forest, out where I work," He pointed to a more open area of the field where the ground was tilled with plants sprouting out, "That's where we grow our food and there's a special river in the middle of the forest which is nice for bathing," He nodded at me after lowering his tone for his last remark.

Newt and I had been walking for rather a while. He showed me where the showers and bathrooms were and then lead me to what was called the Kitchen. "Hello there, missus!" A tall, smiley man said to me, from behind a counter. "Hello," I replied, smiling back at him. "Dinner for two?" He asked, looking at the pair of us. I hadn't realised that it was time for us to eat but time flew this afternoon. The man behind the counter handed Newt and I a metal plate each. I started to inspect what lay on it when the man began to introduce himself, "My name's Frypan, by the way." I smiled back at him, but he waited for me to reciprocate. "I don't know my name just yet." He looked at me, knowingly. "No worries, miss," Frypan waved the pair of us off as Newt lead me to a table.

"Hello, Greenbean," A boy said, as I sat down opposite him. Newt sat down beside me with another boy opposite him. They all looked around the same age. The boy who had spoken had jet black hair, Asian features and a sarcastic smirk. "I'm Minho," He reached out his hand for me to shake, so I took it. "Unnamed," I replied, shaking his hand. My comment caused him to laugh under his breath which brought a grin to my face. I glanced beside me to see the two other boys also chuckling. "My name's Arthur," The other boy said. He had fluffy brown hair and brown eyes. "Nice to meet you both," I replied, smiling. Although today's events hadn't been the best, I'm happy to place a smile on my face, for now.