Chapter Forty-Five

"You don't understand, I can't go back to him," Jenna sighed, massaging her head, and trying to quell the ache that had started to smack around her skull. She was so done with this conversation already. Why couldn't they understand that she had no interest in being with him anymore?

"And why's that? Didn't you go back to break things off with Ronin and Carmen? If it wasn't because of jealousy, then what was it for?" The man sitting across from her asked, his dark eyes filled with curiosity.

Jenna glared at the man, her upper lip curling. "That was different. I didn't have any choice. Simon was pulling my strings. I did what he told me to."

The man hummed thoughtfully. "So, you're saying you never really wanted to go back to Ronin? Well, that's interesting."

Jenna opened her mouth to explain, but then she shut her mouth and thought otherwise. Just because she made the mistake of running away from the marriage that started feeling suffocating, didn't mean she was still that naive. She knew she messed up by leaving Ronin like that. But she also knew no one would believe it was the right thing to do. She and Ronin didn't have that spark anymore. They were into each other as teenagers, but as they grew up, their priorities changed. She went into modeling and he was happy to shoulder the responsibility of his family business.

There was nothing with Ronin, or how he treated her, it was just that feeling she would get sometimes....a feeling that they weren't right for each other. Jenna had no wish to settle down so early in life. She wanted to travel more and live her life like it wasn't anyone's damn business. But Ronin—he was hellbent on getting married and having a family. He loved her, she knew, and she liked him too, no lie there. But after he joined his family business, something changed inside him. He became more serious, intense, and, frankly, a bit boring.

Jenna shook her head, done with this conversation. "Why are you here exactly? I don't see a reason for you to find me so damn early. It's still not even fucking six in the morning."

The man grinned, scoffing a little. He tapped his fingers on the handrest of the couch, as he looked around the small studio apartment Jenna was staying in these days. Huh. She could have done so much better, he thought. But then again, after she left the wedding. The Logans and the Rivers [her family] dropped her like a hot potato. No one wanted to have anything with her. She was a pariah, a taint no one wanted on their sparkling reputation.

He couldn't help but feel a little sorry for her, but that wasn't the reason he came.

His focused gaze returned to Jenna, observing how she squirmed uncomfortably in her seat. He couldn't blame her. He had a way of making people uneasy, especially when they were alone with him.

"I'm here to offer you a job," he said, watching her carefully to gauge her reaction.

Jenna frowned, her eyes narrowing. "And why do you think I'd be interested?"

He shrugged casually. "Honestly, I have no clue about your interests. What I do know is that we both can profit from it if we follow the plan I have in mind."

She hesitated, not immediately jumping at the chance. "Plan?" The way he said it made her feel a twinge of unease. It seemed like something shady. Was she desperate enough to get involved with a man like him? "What kind of plan?"

The man chuckled and got up from the couch, adjusting his stance as he slid his hands into his pants pockets. "I'll wait for your consent. There's no hurry. Take your time to think about it. You have a day to make up your mind."

When he reached the door, he turned back one more time, as if forgotten to add something. "Oh, and if you decide to decline my offer, that's perfectly okay. But if you accept, understand one thing: there's no turning back once you're in. I hope to hear from you though. Have a good day."