Chapter 111

The dinner started, and everyone sat around the long table, talking and laughing, and enjoying the evening overall.

Ronin and Carmen stood at the head of the table, watching everyone take their seats.

Willow grabbed a chair next to Eric, only to find Diana sliding into the chair right in front of her.

After their conversation at the driveway, Willow hadn't been able to think about anything else. It all felt so surreal. Like everything that was happening was more like a dream, and she couldn't wait for someone to wake her up.

But then she thought about reality and the fact that Ronin wouldn't be in it if things went back to the way they were, and once again, she found herself stuck in a strange dilemma.

It was as if fate was forcing her to choose between her brother and Alice. But could she really? She loved her brother, there was no doubt about it, but she had also raised Alice as her daughter. Even the thought of having no relation with that little girl was driving her insane.

Of course, now she also understood why her parents and Eric had been giving her puzzled looks when she asked them about Alice. They probably found her curiosity about Molly's daughter first thing in the morning bizarre.

"Are you alright?" She heard Eric ask, snapping her out of her deep thoughts.

Willow looked up from her plate and locked eyes with Diana sitting across. She smiled, and Willow found herself instantly looking away. "Never been better."

"Are you sure?" He pressed, leaning closer, as he always did when he tried to read her expression more clearly.

"Don't be a creep," she pushed him away, and he laughed, probably aware of how much that always drove her crazy.

"Just trying to figure out what's wrong with you."

"And creeping me out is going to help, how?"

"I'm good at reading certain people, that's how."

"Really?" she turned to face him and briefly glanced at the woman sitting next to him, the blonde with the blue blazer. "So, I wonder what you read in that woman. Because she's clearly not your type. Besides, you can do better."

Her words seemed to strike a nerve. Eric's smile vanished, and he straightened his spine, quickly becoming annoyed. "Don't start, please! I'm trying here. Points for the effort, remember?"

"Not when the effort feels like manipulation."

"Why are you doing this?" He finally asked, his voice low, unable to conceal his irritation.

It seemed he was unaware of her reasons, which made sense. She was glad not everything—or everyone—had changed.

"Because I know you, Eric. This isn't you trying. This is you trying to satisfy Mom and Dad so they won't pressure you into marrying that Knight girl."

The mention of the sole heiress of the Knight family, a long-standing business counterpart of the Logans, was enough to further irritate him. "I'm not that vain, Willow. You give me too much credit."

Willow raised a brow. "So, nothing is going on between you two? That's what you're saying? Nothing?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying," he shook his head, probably regretting the moment when he thought it would be fun to mess with her. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a date that I don't want to upset."

Willow let out a sigh and watched as he turned to give all his attention to the blondie.

Just then, Ronin clinked his champagne glass with a spoon, drawing everyone's attention to where Carmen and he stood.