Chapter 115

Carmen sat in front of the dressing table and stared at herself in the mirror. She was still dressed in the ivory dress she had worn for their small family gathering.

Her cheeks turned pink as she thought of the announcement they had made earlier. They were about to have another baby, Ronin and her, that is. And she wasn't sure if there was a way for them to be any happier.

This life with Ronin had been beautiful, meaningful, and just so epic. She wouldn't have it any other way. And she knew Ronin felt the same. She knew him better now, way better than the time when he had slammed the divorce papers for her to sign.

But it was a time they both had almost forgotten. In fact, Carmen rarely thought about it. Her life with Ronin was so wonderfully busy and lively; there was no time to wallow in the past. All she could focus on was their present and now, as well as their future.

She had a new life forming inside her. She couldn't be more excited.

The train of her thoughts was disrupted when she heard the door of her bedroom open. Even though she had a good view of the door and the man entering the room through the mirror, she turned around and beamed at him beautifully. "Hey!"

Ronin's eyes were already on her the moment he stepped into the room. "Hey, beautiful."

Five years into the marriage and Carmen still felt silly when he called her beautiful. "The party went well."

He nodded, smiling and loosening his tie from around his neck. "Of course, it did. You were the one who arranged everything."

Carmen met him in the middle of the room. She helped him take off his suit jacket and put it away. "Not really. I had help."

The truth was, if not for Ronin taking Ryan, their four-year-old son, on a small trip to the nearest playhouse, she wouldn't have had time to arrange anything at all. Ryan was such a lively little thing. He was a hurricane at home, and no corner of their home was left untouched by him the moment they turned their eyes somewhere else.

"Well, I can't deny that he gave me a hard time for keeping him away from home for such a long time," Ronin remarked.

Carmen couldn't help but laugh, shaking her head. "I have a theory about our son."

"And what is that?" he approached her from behind, hugging her while she arranged his clothes in the closet.

"That whoever he loves the most, he makes them suffer just as much."

Ronin chuckled, pressing a kiss to Carmen's cheek. "If that's your attempt to make me feel better, it's not helping." He moved his hands to her shoulders and planted another kiss on her nape. "But I think you might be onto something there."

Carmen leaned back into his embrace, enjoying the warmth of his presence, grinning. "It was worth a try."

"Of course, it was," he murmured, his kisses trailing closer to the crook of her neck and then upward until his mouth was searching for hers.

Soon their lips met in a soft, tender kiss, kindling a familiar spark between them. Carmen wrapped her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss with gentle passion. Ronin was the one who pulled away first; he was smiling, and when he looked down at her, his gaze was soft and loving. "I can't believe we are having another baby."

"I assure you, it's not a dream."

"I know, but still." Once she was done, he tugged her towards the bed and made her sit on his lap. "I love you so much, though. You're the most wonderful thing that has happened to me. I hope you know that."

"I do," she brushed her nose against his, smiling from ear to ear. "I always do."

They kissed again. Ronin ran his fingers through her hair, tilting her head slightly so he could deepen the kiss. His other hand traveled from the base of her spine to her neck, where he fumbled with the zipper of her dress and dragged it down.

"Are you sure it's safe?" Carmen asked, her breathing elevated as he turned around and lowered her onto the bed.

He kissed the tip of her nose. "I'll be gentle."

"Ryan?"

"Out like a light."

He stood up for a moment to unbutton his shirt while Carmen watched the sight of his magnificent body. She swallowed, biting her lip as she shifted backward, soon watching him crawl onto the bed and cover her body with his.

"You really do like watching me undress, don't you?" He teased her while at the same time nipping at her shoulder and sucking on her delicate skin.

Carmen barely held back a moan, locking eyes with him as he looked up. She wrapped her legs around him, tracing her fingers down his chest. "You're mine, Ronin. And I appreciate every little thing you do for me, even the striptease."

* * *

Willow stared at the lying form of Dan, annoyed that even after an hour of silent treatment she had given him, he refused to move an inch from the bed. He had even taken off his leather jacket now, lying on the bed in merely a thin white t-shirt and dark jeans.

While she sat on the couch across from the bed, glaring at him with her arms tightly crossed, he seemed to be acting oblivious to her obvious annoyance, playing some stupid game on his phone to pass the time. But, unfortunately, she was done with him and his damn annoying attitude. This had to end, and it had to end right now.

"This is ridiculous."

"What is?" he asked, busy with his game.

"Whatever that is that you're trying to do," she huffed out.

He grinned. "I'm just trying to get to the truth. Nothing wrong with that, is there?"

She shook her head. "Did you ever consider the fact that maybe there's nothing to tell? That maybe it's all in your head and you're just being mean and stupid by troubling me for no reason at all?"

He seemed to be taking in her words. "Well, that's one possibility for sure."

"Ha! So, you agree that you could be wrong."

"No. Not really." He shook his head. "It might be a possibility, but certainly not the one that I agree with."

"I don't understand you."

"You don't have to understand me. You just have to tell me the truth."

She groaned, almost on the verge of pulling her hair out. "But I have nothing to tell you! What part of that don't you understand?"

For the first time, he tore his eyes away from the phone screen and fixed them on her.

"To be honest, I don't understand any of that. The only thing that can make me understand is what happened that night. How the hell were you in two places at the same time? How did you do it, and most importantly, why did you do it?" He laid back down, eyes back on the game. "So as you can see, until all my questions are answered, I'm not going to get any sleep. It's a problem, I can't help it."

"Ughhhhh—you're driving me insane, you know that?"

He scoffed out a chuckle, shooting a wink her way. "Trust me, darling, that's me being nice. I've got a hundred tricks up my sleeve to get the truth out of you, and that's just off the top of my head. You're lucky I'm taking it easy on you when I could have you screaming my name at the top of your lungs right about now."

A glimpse of Carmen and Ronin's married life :P