CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

With the Outcast traveling to Naboo in hyperspace, the Je'daii gathered at the table in the crew lounge.

"Where is Ahsoka?" said Gorin.

"Meditating in the common deck," said Virra. "I guess she doesn't want to intrude."

"But she's one of us," said Elynn.

"I don't think she sees it that way, Eels," said Syrran.

"What do you mean? She was a Jedi, like us. She's out there, fighting the Empire like we do."

"I definitely sense conflict within her. I think being around us has brought back feelings from her time in the Jedi Order, but she might not want to be with us."

"Because we also study the dark side?" Theleema said.

"Partly, but from what I understand, Ahsoka left the Order in less than favorable terms. She was accused of a heinous crime she didn't commit."

"The bombing at the temple?" said Elynn.

"Yes. Worse of all, the Order allowed the Republic army to take her into custody, rather than dealing with her internally."

"They just handed her over?" said Gorin.

"Yes, just like that. When it was discovered Ahsoka was innocent, the Jedi High Council promoted her to Knight, but she wanted nothing to do with the Order after that. She left."

"I don't blame her," said Theleema. "Your former High Council sounds like a bunch of scugholes."

"Can't argue with that," said Addia. "They were known for kriffing things up more than once—letting Skywalker into the Order being the most heinous."

"How do you know all of this?" said Ilum.

"K'Kruhk told me when I discovered Ahsoka was alive, the first time he asked me for help," said Syrran.

"He seems to do that a lot," said Theleema.

"Not because he wanted to. I needed his help, so we traded."

"I know she was present at the Siege of Mandalore," said Jarriss. "The Jedi sent her along with half of the 501st Legion. She captured Maul, who was ruling the planet at that point, along with Death Watch."

"That's true," said Virra. "But she wasn't part of the Order. Ahsoka was believed to have died when her capital ship crashed for unknown reasons. By then, the Clone Wars were over, Order 66 had been issued, the Jedi Temple was attacked, and Darth Sidious declared himself Emperor of the Galaxy."

"I think Ahsoka prefers to be on her own," said Syrran.

"Then, for whom is the crystal Virra obtained?" said Ilum.

"It didn't react to her," said Virra. "It must be for someone else—someone who needs a Master."

"We're going to need more cabins," said Gorin.

"Still, it wouldn't hurt to offer Ahsoka to join us," said Elynn.

"We will, after we deal with the problems at hand," said Ilum. "The first of which is to find out about these interesting visions we all had on Socorro."

The Je'daii shared their experiences in the Dessert Wombs.

"Now you know why I hated mine," said Elynn, pointedly looking at Syrran.

"You handled it like a true Je'daii Master," said Syrran, comforting her.

"But what if it's true?"

"Don't forget, you were speaking to Confusion, Eels," said Jarriss. "Misperception is her nature."