Q+A: Answering the Questions of Life (2)

Personal questions time! I'm shocked at how many there were, tbh T-T Lez goo

FAVOURITES

books/series

hard to answer, but i usually default to the grishaverse. it's a classic: really well done, incredibly detailed, really likeable characters, and a super interesting plot. obviously soc is better than s&b but both have really good, key qualities that have inspired my writing immensely. i'll also add the ninth house duology, since i worship leigh bardugo, and those books really showed me how beautiful terrible things can be. plus the idea of a secret magic society based at yale was awesome. and fucking darlington-- okay sorry i'm done. (also atlas six gets honourable mention because it's like ninth house but percy jackson and it's fantastic) 

classics-wise, i love little women. or anne of green gables. i've read both about ten times each, and i absolutely adore them. self-explanatory. i also intensely love the princess bride because it's hilarious and i laugh out loud all the time when i read it. wonderful and well-written. 

characters

again, why are you guys asking me the hardest questions. i can't pick a favourite. UGH. okay top five: anne of green gables, jo march, kaz brekker, percy jackson, and agatha of woods beyond. i would do an in-depth but i'm pretty sure you don't want to read all of that so i'll just do the basics of why. 

anne: encapsulates the little girl in me who loves reading and big words and playing pretend and running around with puffed sleeves and climbing trees and all that good stuff. i love her because her story is just about her being her, and how she grows as a person. if you read the entire series, of which every book is the same wonderful quality, anne really develops into maturity without losing a bit of her sweetness, which i really want to emulate. 

jo: my fiery writer feminist self, the one who climbs trees and tackles my brothers and wears funny weird things because it's comfortable. i love jo, she's got a temper, she's awkward, but she's also loyal and sweet and means so well. the scene when she cuts her hair for her father's medical bill makes me cry and laugh every time (amy's "your one beauty!"). what i love most about her is her desperation to be good. jo is uncompromising, she's the ideal feminist, she doesn't believe in marrying for money or for treating women like crap or sacrificing your morals, but she's so so good. and she's always quick to apologise, even with her hot temper, and she struggles with putting aside her pride. and then you go and read little men, and you see how patient and loving she's become, without losing a bit of her passion or pride. 

kaz brekker: self-explanatory. have you met him? but also i like that kaz struggles all the time. leigh never forgets his leg or his pain or the daily demons he fights. but most importantly, and most loveably, kaz is literally an emo teenager. he's like, seventeen, running around with a bad haircut and angsty one-liners. and i love that. 

percy jackson: a basic one, but also one that everyone sleeps on. percy is such a good kid, and he makes mistakes, he gets grumpy, he loses his temper. also he's such a guy. but he's so well-meaning, and he always wants to help everyone. and i love characters that can be goofy, but are undeniably good, too. percy is so sweet, so dedicated to his family, and has such a big heart for a kid that's been emotionally and physically hurt so much. 

agatha of woods beyond: FUCKING AGATHA, BRO. agatha is probably the character closest to me. she's grumpy, she's mean, she's sarcastic, she's kinda gross and dark and weird, but she's got such a big heart. i love, love, love agatha. and her yearning to be beautiful, to be loved, but also to never sacrifice her own morals. i love the struggle she and tedros go through, trying to figure out who takes the lead in the relationship, and i love that she gets to step down. i hate the feminist characters that refuse to step down to the point of harm. the strongest characters know how to back off, to let others take charge. i love agatha because she's such a real character, and she's really dear to my heart. i grew up with her, the first book came out when i was eight, and i got to see her grow up just like me. plus, agatha's hilarious, and she gets to be such a strong, unique, weird, loving person. i adore her.