Chapter 3: DON'T SHADOW TRAVEL, FRIENDS!

WELL! AFTER A VERY LONG WEEK OF PEER PRESSURE ON BOTH ENDS HERE IS CHAPTER 3!

Henry p.o.v.

So... San Diego huh. 

Who would have thought that I would get an excuse to go back there? 

Then again a quest isn't exactly the excuse I had in mind. 

Not that I had one in mind

I bark a laugh, Imagine me asking Hazel or Frank to go to San Diego 

"Hey Hazel, I feel like I've been working hard lately. I think I could survive a week in a city that would attract many monsters" 

Yeah, no, I would never do that. But I do want to go back and investigate the site where it happened. 

"It was a sunny day in the cul-de-sac and I wa-"

"NO" I scolded myself "Do NOT go there! Focus on packing your things" 

I sighed. 

My brain has some sort of locking mechanism that keeps me from having memories of that mystery day when something mysterious happened that my mind won't let me learn about.

It's a whole lot of mystery

As all these thoughts swirled through my mind, I packed up my stuff, my extra clothes, Nightslicer (that's the new name for my sword), my favorite snacks, and of course a supply of ambrosia and nectar. 

I zip my backpack up and start to head to the door when I hear a rustling coming from under my bed. 

Loud rustling. 

I cautiously approach the noise and unsheath Nightslicer. 

My bed bumps and rustle and I almost jump out of my pants as I get closer and peek my head under my bed.

Now, I was expecting a lot of things but I did not think a black Lab would jump out and start attacking me. I may have thought it was trying to kill me and I swung my sword around trying to ward it off. But I realized it wasn't just an extremely grumpy dog as, A: My sword bounced off its fur and B: Its tail was wagging way too much.

"Alright, stop! Hee hee hee. No stop. Please it tickles. No seriously STOP." I stood up and said in my loudest possible voice "LEAVE IT. NO! DOWN! DOWN!"

Unfortunately, I already knew this hyper, attention-loving hellhound was on 5 gallons of Red Bull per second. 

The dog had shown up when I had started my journey and done the same thing as it did now. It freaked out and started nearly killing me with love (as a son of Pluto I am 99.99% sure too much love can kill me) and then gave me something important. 

In that case, I gave myself my sword. 

In this case, it had a whistle and a letter tied to its collar. 

I scratched its ears and read the name of the dog on the collar "Penny. Well you sure love attention Penny," 

She just stared at me making her message clear. 

Either read the letter or pet me some more. I untied the letter and the whistle. 

The message read:

Blow the whistle to call her, it works 5 times

I wondered how Penny would be able to help battle a goddess who could probably start a civil war. And I wondered how to hide her. 

"Did anyone just see this?" I asked, "Preferably someone who likes dogs?"

When you ask that you don't usually expect a response but I got one. 

"I can help," said a demigod as he poked his head out from the top bunk "I saw the whole thing and I like dogs"

 "Oh, thank the gods," I said to Max

If you don't know who Max is, I'm right here to introduce you. 

Max is a son of Mercury and one of my closest friends (I have more, but I'll get to them later). 

He may seem laid back, but he is very sneaky. 

He once took my sword, taped it to the ceiling, and replaced it with a plunger with a note that said 

"This weapon is the Destroyer of Worlds and Conquerer of Galaxies". 

And he did it all while I was in the bathroom!

"And you won't screw up?" I say skeptically to him "And you won't abuse this power?"

"When have I ever?" he replies with a smile

* * *

"Why do we have to take the bus?" I demand as we wait at the bus stop "Buses are cramped, smelly, and slow"

"Because it's the only way to get to San Diego" Lucia replied, annoyed. 

After receiving much good luck from the rest of Camp Jupiter, we left for San Diego before realizing that it would take us months to get there on foot. So here we were at a bus stop, waiting.

"The Bus should have gotten here 10 minutes ago" I complain

"It's almost here," says Emmitt "Look, here it is now"

A bus drives over to us. It drags across the ground and the engine sputters. It parks at the bus stop and the doors open. 

I sigh and walk in. The smell of barf, cigarettes, food, and something unknown overpowers my nose.

"Nope!" I yell "We're out of here"

I grab Emmitt and Lucia by the hand. Faster than they can object, I concentrate on San Diego and shadow travel.

* * *

Shadow traveling is hard to explain, so I won't even try. I will say it doesn't feel good. 

We landed in a forest on a hill overlooking a city

"HENRY" Emmitt fumes "WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT SHADOW TRAVEL!"

"You're not my mom" I reply defensively "So, therefore, you cannot tell me what to do. Besides, I will NOT sit next to some rando on an extremely smelly bus!"

"YOU COULD HAVE LANDED US IN CHINA"

"I been PRACTICING so that doesn't happen"

"Guys..." Lucia says

"So you HAVE landed in another country before!"

NO! Well yes but... that didn't happen this time. Look, That's Los Angeles over there. We're close"

"IT WASN'T WORTH THE-"

"GUYS" Lucia shouts

"WHAT!" we yell back

"What's that," she says

We all turn around and see what looks like a giant pile of sticks.

 "Is that what I think it is," Emmitt whispers. 

"If you mean a giant pile of sticks then yeah" I say in reply. 

"Shhh! It might hear you" She says 

"What might here me"

Before my friends can reply, a dark shape swoops down and knocks me over just as I realize what the pile of sticks is.