Reflections by the Beach

Stephanie POV

I stepped out and saw Trey standing by the vehicle door. He opened the door. "Why thank you, kind sir," I said, and he chuckled. Walking around to the driver's side, he came in, sat, and closed the door. We sped off; it was 7:30 now. As we made our way to the beach, the windows were down, and the radio played soca songs, which I was grateful for-no love songs or break-up songs. I looked out the window, taking in the breeze on a summer night. He said nothing, which I am grateful for. Once we arrived at the beach and parked at the front, he opened the door for me and asked, "Ready, need any drink? I have cran juice and water." I replied, "Cran juice, did you by any chance bring any liquor?" He said no but would get what I want at the bar on the beach. We walked towards the bar, and he bought a flask of rum. After that, we walked out further to the beach. There was a bonfire to the right, but we went out more as there was a little crowd. We finally found a space and sat there on the sand. I took out the towel to sit on, and we placed our snacks. I took off my dress, got up, and went into the water, which was chilling despite the warmth of the night. I felt relaxed and calm. As I floated in the water, I thought about what had transpired today and how my life has taken a turn every time. I've had two relationships in my life, and they both failed. What does that say about me? Is it that I don't deserve love? I thought to myself. I drifted in thought, not realizing I was sinking until water started to get in my face. I was about to jump up but felt a hand on my back, causing me to open my eyes, revealing Trey smiling. "You okay?" he asked. I stood up; the water was at my waist. I didn't even really realize I had gone out that far until I looked where we left our things. "Yes, I am just thinking," I replied, and he nodded. He seemed to want to ask a question but refrained from doing so, and I found myself wanting to pour out my soul to him. "Trey, I just don't understand why I keep picking the wrong guys and why is it that both my sister and my mom don't like me. It's like I am just not meant to be shown or receive love. I know my dad, you, and Blacks love me, but you guys are family. I just don't understand." I looked at him; he seemed sad and understanding. "Steph, you are deserving and will receive love. Time and patience are the masters of things," he replied, and he walked away from me and walked towards the shore.

Trey POV

"You are family" was stuck in my head. I walked towards the shore and sat on the towel, took out the snacks, and made myself a well-needed drink. I reminded myself not to get caught up in what she said; she needs to heal. I watched as she came further to the shore but sat in the water as the waves rocked her back and forth. I wondered how can a man not see her beauty and intelligence, compassion and resilience, and still treat her like shit? How is that even possible? Blacks texted and asked if we had arrived, to which I responded that we did. She got out of the water and walked up to me and sat on the towel. She made her drink and started laughing and crying. I went closer to her and said, "Let it all out." Cry sometimes; that is all we have to do when we are hurt.

Author Note

Unfortunately that's where my brain says to end the chapter 🤣