Chapter 16

Rukhsat

After breakfast, I retreated to our chamber, seeking solace from the lingering tension that had filled the dining hall. I needed a moment to myself, away from the prying eyes and expectations of the royal family. I could no longer pretend to be the happy bride and hide my pain from my sister.

I found respite by the window, the soft morning light filtering through the delicate curtains and casting a warm glow on the room. Outside, the palace gardens sprawled in all their grandeur, a serene oasis amidst the complexities of palace life.

I settled into a cushioned seat by the window, my gaze fixed on the tranquil scenery. The colorful blooms, the whispering leaves, and the distant murmur of a fountain provided a comforting backdrop to my thoughts.

Arjun had entered the chamber with an air of determination that I hadn't seen before. His presence felt commanding, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of unease as he approached me. I knew that this conversation was going to be different.

As he attempted to put his hand on my shoulder, I recoiled, unwilling to be near him in this moment. However, he was having none of it. His imposing figure towered over mine as I tried to back away, my back pressed against the windowpane.

"Rukhsat," he began, his voice firm and unyielding, "we need to talk."

I met his gaze, my heart racing, and nodded. "Alright, Rajkumar Arjun."

He moved closer to me, his gaze penetrating, as if he was trying to read my thoughts. "I want us to put our differences aside and start anew. We are husband and wife, and we should work together for the sake of our family and our kingdom."

I watched him carefully, my guard up. "I agree, Arjun. But there are things that need to be addressed."

He nodded, his resolve unshaken. "I promise to listen and to be more understanding. But I also need you to respect my decisions and authority as the head of this household."

My discomfort grew as I realized the direction of this conversation. "Arjun, respect goes both ways. I will respect you if you respect me. You tried to force yourself on me last night, and that too when you were intoxicated. You slapped me, Arjun."

Arjun remained steadfast, his voice unwavering. "Rukhsat, you must understand. I am your husband now, and we were supposed to consummate our marriage on our wedding night. Yes, I was drunk when I shouldn't have been, but isn't it my right and duty to consummate the marriage? Your resistance angered me, and I raised my hand at you, which I know was wrong, but I have apologized for it. You can no longer forbid me from touching you. I am your husband, after all."

Anger flared within me, and I retorted, "Arjun, you cannot simply demand such a thing. I have my boundaries."

He didn't waver, his voice unwavering. "Boundaries are one thing, Rukhsat, but we are married. We should not be distant like strangers in our own chambers."

I clenched my fists, frustration bubbling up. "You cannot just disregard my feelings and desires, Arjun."

His tone remained authoritative, unyielding. "Rukhsat, I am not disregarding anything. I am reminding you of our marital duties. As your husband, I have rights over you, just as you have rights over me."

I was seething with anger, but Arjun would not leave room for argument. He continued, his words cutting through the tension in the room, "I want us to be a team, but that requires intimacy and closeness. We must fulfill our responsibilities as husband and wife."

"Arjun you are being absolutely unreasonable and selfish, do you think you pressurising me to perform our marital duties will help build our relationship? Just because you ask me of it does not mean that I will comply. I -- "

Before I could finish, Arjun's lips crashed onto mine with a force that took my breath away. It was not a loving kiss but a demanding and possessive one, filled with anger and a sense of entitlement. I felt his harsh stubble against my skin as his mouth pressed forcefully onto mine, causing a sharp, painful sensation.

Desperation welled up within me as I tried to push him away, but his strong grip held my hands firmly above my head, leaving me powerless. His other hand had a painful grip on a fistful of my hair, tilting my head to give him better access.

The kiss was relentless, devoid of any tenderness or affection. It felt like a punishment, a reminder of his dominance and control. His lips were rough against mine, and he bit down on my lower lip with a force that made me whimper in pain.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to break free from the kiss, but Arjun's unyielding hold kept me captive. The taste of bitterness and anger lingered on my lips, and I felt violated and humiliated by my own husband.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Arjun pulled away, leaving me breathless and trembling. My cheeks were wet with tears, and I couldn't bring myself to meet his eyes. His heavy breaths mingled with mine as he rested his head on top of mine, his voice low and commanding."Oh, but you will, Rukhsat," he whispered, his words sending shivers down my spine. "You will obey."

"I really want to put everything bad that has happened behind us and for us to start our life together. You and I both made mistakes but I really do not think I can bear being apart from you now that we are married. Every second that I am around you, all I want to do is hold you as close to me as possible. I know my mistake was grave but you have to forgive me".

"Rajkumar Arjun, this is your way of apologising for forcing yourself on me and then slapping me on our wedding night? By forcefully kissing me and pressurising me to consummate the marriage with you? You want my forgiveness? I have two conditions: Give me some time to heal from what you did to me less than 12 hours ago.
And quit drinking. I never want to be near you when you are in that state again".

"You tried to runaway from me Rukhsat! God damn it! I was angry! I was angry because I love you and wanted to consummate the marriage so that it is complete and you can't leave me and go anywhere! A marriage is not truly complete if not consummated and the fear of you trying to run away again made me do what I did! Do you really think that I want to hurt you?" , Arjun asked me in anguish.

I did not think about the situation like this.

"Even if you did not mean to, you did hurt me Rajkumar Arjun. You were not the person that promised me love but a man who only lusted after me!", I said in a raised voice.

"How do you not understand it Rukhsat?! I love you! And I will do whatever I need to do make you stay with me for the rest of eternity!"

He touches his forehead to mine and sighs. I have tears dripping down my face at this point and I do not know how to tell him that forcing me like this may cost us the chance of ever being happy.

"Rukhsat I will fulfill your conditions but I have a condition of my own. We will consummate the marriage tonight and complete our bond".

As we faced each other, the room felt suffocating, and Arjun's commanding presence dominated every inch of it. This conversation had marked a dark and painful turning point in our marriage, one that left me feeling both conflicted and trapped.