8. Cursed

-

-

CASSIDY SMILED WIDELY as she walked beside her father, into the large hall. "Go make yourself useful, i've for people to talk to." He said, departing from her and leaving her alone.

She scanned the room, searching for a particular face. And when she found it, she didn't hesitate to walk over.

"Cass?" Micheal asked, realising she was walking to him. "Since when were you coming here?"

"My father got an invite," she said, grinning.

His eyes wandered her body, admiring the dress she wore. "A charity dinner. Tommy Shelby is moving up in the world," She mocked, standing close to Micheal.

-

Both Grace and Tatiana stood speaking for a while before Grace saw Tommy. "Tommy" she stopped him. "This is Duchess Tatiana Petrovna" she introduced. He cleared his throat, looking at the woman he had already met.

"Come on Tommy aren't you impressed to meet a real duchess?" Grace asked. "Well i understand they charge a fee" he said coldly.

"Mr Shelby you are very direct" she scoffed. "Too direct" Grace added. "But it's true" Tatiana said, "i attend these things for the champagne, and for the chance to be treated like a duchess again"

"You should have kissed my hand, Mr Shelby"

"Forgive me" He said after seconds of thinking. He kissed her hand and stood straight. "She was asking about my sapphire" Grace said. "I thought i recognised it" Tatiana nodded.

"She said it was Russian. My husband has business in Russia, perhaps you know about it, Tatiana?"

"Well tonight is not a night for business, eh?"

"Is that why you were in the concert hall for ten minutes?" Grace asked him. "I think people are ready for dinner now Grace" he urged. "No no i'm not done pumping my people for money" she joked.

"What is pump for money" Tatiana questioned. "It's what i do everyday" Thomas told her.

"You know each other, do you?" Grace looked between the two. "You see i am in charge of compiling the list of guests, but it's my husband who knows them all"

"I hear he's very well connected" Tatiana nodded.

"And where does a duchess hear that?" Grace looked at Tommy. "In certain circles" Tatiana nodded. "All right, enough. Ada" he called to his sister.

"Grace, there's a Lady Dowager who wants to speak to you about coffee mornings. She mentioned a two thousand pound cash donation"

"Tatiana you and i will speak later" she dismissed herself.

"Going to the factory tomorrow is a mistake" Tommy said to the brunette woman. "Nevertheless we will go, Mr Shelby"

"Also my uncle ordered me to seduce you to give us an advantage but with with a beautiful wife like that it will be difficult, no?"

"Tomorrow is a mistake" he repeated. "Have you not heard, we have no morals, we Russians."

"And no fucking sense" he insulted.

"And no options" she added, "I would fuck you for the cause. What do you think of that" she said.

"I think you should not drink vodka with champagne" he began walking away.

"Does your wife know that the sapphire she is wearing has been cursed by a Gypsy?" Tatiana laughed. "What did you say?" Tommy asked, staring at her coldly.

"Nothing on earth, would make me wear it"

Tatiana walked away from him and Tommy thought for a moment, rushing to Grace. "Grace, listen to me. Look, i can explain" he started. "Go away" she cut him off.

"For once you shouldn't have to explain, Tommy"

A man spoke over the microphone but they took no notice. "You look beautiful but you need to take this off" He said, referring to the necklace.

"Why? Because you think it would look better on her?"

He grabbed her shoulders. "Grace. Look at me, fuck these people, eh? Fuck em, i need you to be all right. I need you Grace, i need you" he whispered. She placed a hand on his chest.

"Damn you Tommy Shelby" she laughed, kissing him.

"Shall we go inside?" she laughed. He nodded and placed a hand on her back.

A man barged past Polly, walking through John. They watched as he pulled out a gun. "For Angel" he shouted.

Michael's eyes widened and he wrapped an arm around Cassidy, pulling her to the side. Realisation hit Tommy and he placed a hand on Grace in attempt to pull her away. Arthur ran forward, tackling the man. But just as he did, the gun fired, sending a bullet straight into Grace's chest.

Time moved in slow motion for Thomas. His heart pounded as Grace's body grew weak. He slowly fell fo the floor, holding her close. People rushed around. "Get me a fucking ambulance" he shouted, his hand covered in blood.

Grace held his arm.

Cassidy looked over to where Arthur, John and Finn were beating the man who'd shot the gun. Arthur grabbed a glass vase and smashed it over the man's head.

Cassidy's breath was shaky as she used Michael's arm to pull herself up. "Oh my god.." she whispered, looking around. Micheal blinked hard, not letting go of her. "Cassie, go home." He said, slowly letting go.

She looked at him confused. "What? No."

"Cass, go. Please"

"Micheal."

"Cassidy." He warned. "You need to go home. I'll call you or something, just go." He practically begged, pushing her in her fathers direction.