42. Anthony

TOMMY STEPPED INTO the James' household after a maid opened the door. Anthony stopped in the hallway. "Mr Shelby,"

"Hello, Anthony." Tommy said, taking his hat off. "I have a favour to ask you."

"And what might that be?" Anthony questioned, placing his papers down on the table. Tommy cleared his throat, placing his hands in front of him. "Tonight, an assassination will be carried out. Oswald Mosley, i'm gathering you know him. And I need people at the wings of the stage to make sure nothing bad happens that'll interrupt the speech-"

"The assassination will interrupt the speech, will it not?"

"Yes, but i cannot risk myself being targeted by someone else who possible has a plan to cause damage on stage."

"What are you proposing, Mr Shelby?"

"I need you on the wings, Anthony. We have known each other for some time. Your wife is one of my most trusted workers. You owe me."

Anthony's smile dropped as the conversation flashed through his head.

"Cassidy is to have a child within the next few months, that child will not be yours. But for Cassidy's sake, you believe the child is your own. You raise the child as if it's your own. And you give Cassidy and that baby the life they deserve. By order of the peaky blinders."

Anthony's mouth went dry as he thought of words. "Thomas, I did what you said. And i love Adeline as if she's my own. Clearly her real father wants nothing to do with her. You never said it was a deal. You simply gave me an order and i followed it." Anthony swallowed.

"And i'm ordering you again, Anthony. You will be a source of my protection tonight. And if you refuse, both Cassidy and Adeline's life may be on the line."

That sentence was all Anthony needed to agree. He loved Cassidy dearly. And Adeline.

"I'll do it." He nodded, a cold expression on his face.

-

"Where are you off too?" Cassidy asked cheerfully, waltzing into his office as he pulled his jacket over his shoulders. "I'm meeting up with Thomas..he has a..business suggestion for me." He lied.

"When will you be home?"

"No later than midnight tonight." He forced a smile, placing a quick kiss on her lips. "I love you." He said.

A fear sat deep inside him that he wouldn't return home that night.

Anthony kneeled down, hugging Adeline tightly. "You go to bed early, my darling. You can show me that dress you have made tomorrow," he whispered, ruffling her hair.

"Listen to the radio," He told Cassidy before walking out the door.

-

Tommy walked into his office, looking at Polly who sat alone. "Arthur asked whose side i was on," she said. Tommy sat. "There will be a war, and one of you will die, but which one i cannot tell" she said. He hummed. "He's gonna do it anyway"

"Yeah."

"You should know if Aberama takes his side, i will kill him." Tommy said. "And what about me" she asked. "I'll do what i have to do Pol,"

"Kill, and kill.." she said. "The only way to make people listen" he whispered. She grabbed an envelope,  placing it down. "Soon you will have a stage to stand on, millions of people will listen to you and you will run the country like you run this family"

"It appears to be what people want."

"But not me, not anymore, my resignation" she said.

-

"Look i have to go, yeah, i have to go" Finn said, patting Billy on the back. "Go where?" he asked. "They're shooting the fascist tonight" he said.

"They're gonna do what?"

Finn shushed him.

"Mosleys in town" Billy said. "Really?" Finn said sarcastically. "Look, go into town, get some drinks and some girl." he placed a roll of cash in front of him. "Listen to the radio"

Finn left and Billy glanced at the phone, hesitating before grabbing it.

-

"Here, look, a little" Arthur whispered, giving Barney some cocaine. "Here i'll join ya"

"You know what you're doing don't ya?" He asked. "Yeah, Tommy checks his pocket watch, i count to ten, then i blow the other blokes head off"

"Yeah" he nodded. "That's for after" he placed a vile in his pocket. "Thank you Arthur"

"Oh and Soldier, you're meant to..you run like fuck, don't stop."

"Run like fuck" Barney repeated.

Music began playing and lights were bright. Barney stood, his eye on the stage, gun in hand.

Aberama, Anthony and Arthur stood in different part of the wings, watching.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Oswald Mosley"

The crowd chanted as he walked to the stage. Anxiety filled Anthony as he thought about his wife and daughter.

Tommy joined him on the stage.

"Welcome, men and woman of Birmingham. Thank you for coming here on this cold, dark night, in spite of the obstruction and provocation of our enemies. Our enemies deal in bricks and stones and bottles. We deal in reasoned principles, argument and fact. Among those enemies, we can number Mr Winston Churchill.." he began. "Who last night, condemned me in the house as a threat to democracy."

"Them who've gone are the lucky ones. Them who've gone are the lucky ones" Barney whispered.

The cheering stopped. "But then Mr Churchill has never been a friend of the common people, faced with the alternative of saying goodbye to gold standard, and therefore to his own employment, he characteristically selected the latter. But of course, not all attending tonight will be convinced of out cause. Some will have come here tonight to find out for themselves what we stand for."

"So here are our guiding principles. Every citizen shall serve the state, Not the banks, not factions. Not the jews" he shouted.

The chant began again.

"The barriers of class will be abolished and a greater Britain will be born"

"Whenever your ready Tom" she whispered.

Tommy checked his pocket watch and Barney began counting.

Anthony gasped, wide eyed as he was dragged backward, a knife sticking into his chest. It was pulled out and re-entered multiple times. He fought as much as he could as his mind went foggy and he was dropped to the floor. His hands were covered in blood as he attempted to drag himself across the floor to get Tommy's attention. He gave up. Something he never did, he gave up. Pain filled him as he realised Adeline and Cassidy saw him for the last time.

Anthony lay there, his last breaths leaving his mouth as the blood poured out of him.

He balled his hand into i fist, turning his head and seeing a pale Aberama Gold laying on the floor, completely lifeless.