14. Phone Call

-

-

POLLY ENTERED ADA'S house, "I brought Micheal because as chief accountant he has to be witness." Polly said.

"Ada, can i er..use your phone?" He asked quietly.

"Micheal." Polly said. "Business first."

He bit his tongue, taking a seat nervously. He was a wreck. Ada and Polly flicked through papers and he glanced down at his watch. "Micheal stop looking at your watch."

"Ada, whilst you are reading this, um, can i go and use your phone?" He leaned forward.

"Who's the lucky girl, Micheal?" She grinned.

"Her name is Cassidy and Micheal cannot breathe if he does not talk to her every two hours." Polly mocked. Ada looked up with the realisation her Cassidy's name but said nothing.

"Ada, please."

"Phones in the hall, dial naught for the line."

"Thank you."

"And keep it quick, i pay the bill." She joked.

"I will."

"Not for long," Polly sighed.

He stared down at the phone, taking deep breaths and picking it up. "My name is Smith, my..my girlfriend is pregnant."

Girlfriend.

"And er..we'd like you to help us. We need to fix a date."

Dread filled him as he placed it down, picking it back up and dialling Cassidy's number. "Cass," he spoke.

"Micheal?" She sniffed.

"Cassie, everything's going to be fine, i've sorted something out, yeah?"

She scoffed. "Okay." Was all she said before putting the phone down. Micheal was confused, but he slightly understood that she was upset and scared.

"Micheal,would you like to welcome Ada our new head of property and acquisitions." Polly said as he returns.

"Congratulations. Where do i sign?"

She handed him a pen and paper and he cleared his throat. "Ada, have you got..whiskey?"

"Yeah, Tommy." She mocked.

"I've already told him. He's becoming too like his cousin."

"I though that was the idea?"

"Yeah Tommy but with a bit more fucking charm and class." She hissed.

He chugged the remains of his glass and Ada whistled. "That'll help."

"Yep, where am i sleeping Ada?"

"Micheal."

"The room next to Karl's."

"Micheal."

"Goodnight." he said, closing the door.

"Heartbroken, poor love," Ada tutted.

-

Polly placed the phone down, sitting at Michael's desk and thinking. She opened the drawer using a key and looked at the small box in the corner. She smiled, assuming it was a ring and closed the drawer when a door opened. She carefully opened the box and her smile faded when she saw a bullet with 'Hughes' carved into it.

Tommy stood at Michael's office door, looking at Polly. He said nothing but looked to his left and walked off.

Polly closed the box, following after him.

She walked past Tommy and sat at his desk. He cleared his throat. "You shouldn't go looking through people private things."

"He's my son."

"The bullet was mine. I never got the chance to fire it."

"And the gypsy rules say it must be passed on.." She scoffed.

"It's not about rules, Pol. It's about he asked me. It's about he told me why he wanted to do it. And if i tell you, i can't take the knowledge back. Better off without it."

Tears brimmed Polly's eyes. "So this is when he was with the parish?"

"Better off without it Pol."

"This is when he was with the fathers.." she whispered. "This is when he was in the care of the holy fathers." Tommy told her. "Micheal wants it so you don't know."

She nodded slowly. "That priest.."

"That priest who was there when he was taken in, and who is still walking the fucking Earth," he interrupted her.

"Fuck."

"He asked me Pol. And i said yes. And i said "you put a bullet in that fuckers brains." by order of the peaky blinders."

She tilted her head back, wiping under her eyes and sighing. "No. Not my son. He'll still be as dead if Arthur does to."

"And part of him will always stay dead."

"I swear to god."

"In whose house it took place.."

"If my son pulls the trigger. I will bring this whole fucking organisation down around your fucking ears." She stood, walking off.

-

Cassidy lay in her bed, hugging the blue sheets to her body. She was scared. Really scared. Over a year, her and Micheal had been doing all that..stuff. And never once had that happened. She was young, too young to have a child. But she felt too guilty to get rid of it.