43. Death

CASSIDY SAT NERVOUSLY beside the radio, listening to the speech. She frowned when nothing important happened. She glanced at the clock. Cassidy thought not to worry but instead go to bed. "He will be home," she whispered.

She lay in bed until the clock struck twelve. Anthony wasn't home. Something had happened.

-

Tommy looked at the ringing phone, picking it up. "Hello"

"Mr Shelby i imagine you're curious as to who it was who prevented the assassination last night." Laura spoke, sitting in Tommys main office. "If you look out your window you'll see a flag of truce. It's a unit of volunteers bringing the bodies of your dead to you to send to heaven in your own way. Last night's operation was carried out by soldiers from three Dublin brigades of the Irish Republican Army. We need to keep Mr Mosley alive. That's all you need to know. Also you should know that saving his life wasn't our only intervention last night. We've made some changes to the structure of your organisation."

Tommy put the phone down, walking out to the three bodies wrapped in cloth. Lizzie stood at the window, watching.

Barney Thomason, a small gasp left his mouth. Aberama Gold. He carefully uncovered another, frowning down at Anthony James. A hand moved to his mouth when he revealed Polly's dead body. Tears welled at his eyes and he shook his head, tears falling.

-

Tommy had given the job to Micheal to deliver the news to Cassidy. Despite the fact his own mother had died.

Micheal took a deep breath, walking through Cassidy's house which held an empty feeling. "Micheal, you haven't heard from Anthony have you?" Cassidy appeared, walking past him. "That's what i've came about, Cass." He took his hat off.

"Has something happened?" Her face dropped.

"Cass, sit down. Please." He said, taking a seat. She carefully sat beside him and stared at him, confused.

"Last night, he was at the event where Mosley did his speech. Arthur was attacked, Anthony and Aberama were killed. Stabbed." He looked at his knees.

A small breath left her mouth as she leaned forward, leaning on her fist as her eyes stung. "He was a good man," she frowned.

Micheal hurt seeing her upset.

He placed a hand on her shoulder, pulling her in and rubbing her back. She didn't fight, she didn't argue, she leaned in close to him. "A good man," she repeated. "He never did anything wrong and he was murdered at the hand of Thomas Shelby." Her voice cracked.

Micheal placed a kiss on her head and sighed. "I'll look after you and Adeline, Cassie."

"How? Your wife is very much still alive."

"I'll speak to her, i'll tell her about Adeline. I refuse to let you be alone, Cassidy." He said, staring into her eyes.

Adeline came running in, a purple and white dress on. Cassidy quickly wiped under her eyes and Micheal cleared his throat. "Look at my new dress," she squealed.

"It's beautiful, Adeline. Really nice. Did you make that yourself?" Micheal asked, running a hand through his hair.

"I did, do you think i look like a princess?"