At the pool

(based off multiple chapters, takes place in the far future

Jonas~~

Iris and I have finished business in France and now we're just relaxing. Like a family vacation. We're at the palace though, and I can't relax knowing that Alix is here. I've never been comfortable around him since I found out what he did to Vienna and what he tried to do with Iris when she was my fiancée. And now that I have 2 kids I have been on what Iris calls 'Shield Jonas' for our children. She says Alix won't try anything since he was exposed 14 years ago by multiple women. Though back then I thought that he wouldn't try anything with my spouse because he was my friend, so I have my doubts.

I lounge in a pool with my wife and kids. Iris fashions two water guns, occasionally shooting them at the kids then saying she didn't do it. Josiah, our fifteen year old, and Ines who is 3 years younger, splash each other in a battle. I sit on the steps, half submerged and laughing at my family. My wrist has no bandage on it, openly displaying how expired I am. It will never feel normal for me.

     Ines shrieks, "Ughhhh! Daaaad, JoJo got water up my nose!"

     "I didn't even splash you that time, you—" he insults her in Amorian.

      "Hey!" Iris sprays them both, "It's a pool. You're bound to get water up your nose."

I laugh when she splashes the kids. Our dog, Darcy, treads water next to me. She's an old dog now, she's 16, but our Amorians confirmed she was gonna live to the rare age of 31. She'll be a very old dog. But I also think about how old I am. I'm 39 now; how did I get so old? At least my kids haven't called me old man yet. Iris also assures me I haven't gotten very ugly over time; even after becoming a parent I haven't gained 'dad bod.' Lucky genetics?

Iris's phone buzzes on the table outside the pool.

      "Josiah, please check that?" I tell him.

      He groans, pulling himself out of the pool. He wears green shorts that complement his green eyes, "It's Uncle Alix." The creepish French king, and my ex-friend.

      "What?" my tone delivery is unintentionally stiff.

     "I don't know, he wants mom to go to his room or something."

     "Why?" Iris asks.

     "I said I don't know, didn't I?" He switches to Amorian, a language he's more comfortable with than english.

      My wife looks at the kids, "Ines, Jo, can you go see what he wants?" I shoot a look at her, mouthing: you can't be serious.

     Ines whines now, "Noooo but I've adjusted to the temperature in the pool already..."

    Josiah mumbles a swear in Amorian, then slips a knife in his waistband for protection, "Come on Ines. Let's go." She sighs, reluctantly following her brother into the palace.

     When they're out of earshot, I turn to their mother, "Why would you make them go to that man alone?! You know his antics!"

      She deadpans then shoots me with the water gun. Her impeccable aim makes the shot of chlorine water directly into my gawking mouth, "They'll be fine, Jonas. They know to be on defense."

     "It's Alix."

     "Who is a weak coward that hides behind his guards."

     "What if he tries something?"

     She smiles and comes close, "He won't. He knows what we're capable of. And he also knows we have an entire 'alien'  army we can call for backup." Comfortingly, she wraps her arms around me.

I hug her back, leaning in. Then suddenly, I pick her up out of the water. Walking dangerously around the perimeter of the pool. Darcy barks protectively knowing exactly what I'm thinking. I stop at the deep end of the pool.

      "Jonas," Iris glares at me, she tries to hold onto me but the water on us makes it slippery, "You wouldn't."

      "I don't know what you're talking about." Darcy barks rapidly, swimming her way over.

     "Jonas..." her tone is warning.

     "Yes, Love?"

     "Don't."

     "Don't what?"

     "Drop me."

      I shrug, "If that's what you want."

     "JONA—"