The Preeminence

Alternate universe, at the start of the first book.

Colton~~

I drum my fingers on the desk. Any negative word you can think of can accurately describe my mood. There's an envelope on my desk I've refused to open; possibly because I've refused to accept the truth of its contents. Fate is cruel—

An e-mail notification chimes obnoxiously from my computer. The veil urgently demands my presence at the throne room, along with the rest of the order. There's a person of high interest I deal with. Further details will be given upon arrival...

I groan, irritated they can't inform me now. I slip back into my blazer, put on my silver laurel wreath, and leave to the throne room.

******

The veil opens the double doors when I arrive, though one opens their door slightly slower. I send a glare their way— not that I'm particular about door speed— to further instill their fear of me.

Soon after I enter, all conversation stops. Everyone bows deeply. From what I can tell, nobody even dares to breathe. This is wrong. I pass everyone in the Order and make it to my chair in the middle of the half circle.

Everyone I pass is misplaced—Well, seems to be misplaced. Erik fled from his position right after the incident, and now everyone has been moved up two spots. A finger of his flips up briefly, I try my best not to let his rude gestures get to me.

Vienna stands next to my chair, "You okay, Colton?"

I press my fingers to my temple, "Sure. Let's say that."

She frowns. My sister stands on the other side of me, "You can't dwell over it too long, Khaleedi. You have to move on."

"Have you?"

Gwen doesn't look at me necessarily, instead she gazes at my wreath, "No, but, I make the effort to look like I have." I'm sure she's referring to how she found me in my room, a wreck, last night.

Abruptly, a veil interrupts to inform me that the high interest subject... and Erik... have arrived. Erik in the dungeon, but a woman is right outside, ready to see me, "Bring her in."

Four veils and a woman in the middle enter. Her red hair is messed up, her eyes are deep emerald. She curtsies the best she can with cuffs on, "Preeminence." A title I've always dreamt of shouldn't be so painful.

When our eyes meet, both of us reel back in pain. Such a headache... though I realize that can only mean one thing, "Expired," I exhale. My words alert the other order members into paying attention to her. I rush forward, grabbing her chin to force her to look at me, only causing a larger headache, "This can't be." Her face twists in fear. Grabbing her wrist only confirms the impossible: 08-10-14. Yesterday.

I back away, trying my best to remain composed. I turn back to look at my cousins. Some are out of their chairs, others just lean forward curiously.

What should I do with her? At first, oddly... I don't want to kill her. Then I find myself with a bitter taste in my mouth. She lived past her date, defying fate and what we've known to be possible. Why couldn't Jonas live? Why could she? I hold back the emotion that comes with the memory of my expired brother. This lady is expired. She should meet her end... just as Jonas had.

I signal to a veil. They present me with their gun. Resentfully, I bring it to her forehead. Her lower jaw trembles, but she stands her ground.

"What's your name?" I ask her.

"Iris... Levine."

I might feel pity for her, "I'll make sure it's on your grave."

She acceptingly lowers her head. "Wait!" I crane my neck to whoever demanded pause. The Theta, the ninth in my order, is up from his chair. "What if..." he seems to shrink back by my glare, "We let her live...? For studying." Tobias has always been the smart one of the family, I should've expected this from him. "We can study the factors of how Miss Levine survived. Maybe we can even help others do the same—"

"And make the public doubt our judgment? Our authority?" Seong-Ho points out.

Bently raises a hand, "I wouldn't be so critical, Seong-Ho. I'm actually interested."

"I believe that if we can help citizens survive their fate, we can rule without relying on their fear... maybe people would like us." Riley chimes in. I whip my head around the room. They can't be serious.

I sigh, exasperated, "All in favor of letting her live?" Everyone, except for Seong-Ho and Enzo, raises their hand. Groaning, I announce: "Fine, Miss.Levine lives. But, the Theta and Delta are responsible for her," Tobias nods and Bently protests, which I don't give heed to.

I look at the survivor, "Well Miss.Levine..." her eyes are wide, still shocked, "...Congratulations. You survived. You're going to live here for the rest of your life—leaving is not an option. Be aware that one misstep here will leave you 6 feet below... understand?"

"Yes, Preeminence."

I calm myself. Life isn't fair. I learned that when Jonas died. Now that I'v met her, I realize, death isn't fair either.