Pesky Missions

Slight title change folks! I couldn't get it out of my head and I just had to 

I apologise

Please keep reading <3

-----------------------------------------------------

The next day was a chaotic rush. You barely got a chance to even look at Bucky while the team swapped intel, and planned the route through the holographic map of the manor that had been constructed from the data of everyone's goggles. Then it was suddenly the evening, which spurred the rush of weapon gathering, getting changed and heading to various addresses nearby for the cars to pick you up in.

You were now paired with Clint, which, while it was easing your nerves slightly, it was also making you more antsy that you hadn't been able to speak to Bucky. Since your mini talk last night, it was like you were filled with some kind of adrenaline. Like you were minutes away from something big happening. You didn't want to wait to talk properly to him. You wanted to get it over with now. Pesky missions are always getting in the way.

The car drove you and Clint right to the entrance of the manor, which had already been overwhelmingly ostentatious since the gates opened an acre back. There was a doorman who greeted you, and two security guards right behind him, their eyes running over you as you stepped inside.

If you thought the Ball from your first mission was beautiful, then this place was surreal. The walls looked like they were made out of marble, the floors almost an iridescent white with some kind of gold ingrained in it and making it shimmer as your heels clacked across it. The stairs were grand and winding up the wall opposite you. The windows were giant and ornate, with velvety curtains framing them. The staff were all in crisp tuxedos, walking around like they were gliding across the floor, effortlessly holding platters of tiny obscure foods that didn't even look like real food.

"Close your mouth woman." Clint chuckled as he passed you a flute of champagne, which you pulled a face at. "We need to get to the main hall."

"Is this not the main hall?!" You squeaked.

"This is the entrance hall, Luka."

"What?!" You gasped, allowing him to guide you to the left into an even grander room. In your shock and awe looking over the room, you caught sight of some of the other team members.

No one really looked like themselves, with slightly different hairstyles and a touch of expert makeup that subtly changed the angles of their face - just enough to make people double guess themselves if they thought they noticed The Avengers.

Enough to make you remember you are here on a job.

Over the next hour, you and Clint wandered, and danced, and talked and ate and talked some more. The people you were meeting and talking with gave you the creeps, but after each interaction, Clint confirmed that while they weren't exactly upstanding citizens, they weren't the baddies you were looking for. They were just generic people involved in criminal activity, hence the creeps they were giving you.

There were no ear comms on this mission, to eliminate the risk of anyone catching on that you weren't actual guests here. It meant that you weren't too sure how the others were getting on, which also meant that you weren't sure how much longer you needed to stay here. What you did know was that you needed a breather. So you whispered to Clint that you needed the bathroom, and headed off.

The bathroom was thankfully empty, and after you came out of the cubicle, the door swung open.

Relief flooded through you when you saw Nat and Wanda walk in, their arms linked together. They froze when they saw you, then Nat separated from Wanda and she pushed open every cubicle door until she was satisfied that they were all empty.