Chapter 20 - End of Internships

I found myself sitting on the sterile emergency room bed, my arm covered in bandages and an ache throbbing along my side. The past four hours had passed in a blur of fluorescent lights and white walls, the constant watch of my mom never leaving. Despite the exhaustion written on her face, she barely fell asleep on the chair next to me 20 minutes ago. I shifted slightly, feeling the chill of the air conditioning seeping into my bones under the thin hospital blanket. My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a soft knock on the door, followed by its gentle creak as it swung open. A nurse dressed in dark blue scrubs stepped into the room. Her gaze was fixed on the computer stationed near my bed, her fingers dancing over the keyboard as she typed away. I watched her in silence. The nurse completed her task at the computer before finally casting a brief glance in my direction. Her eyes met mine for a fleeting moment before she turned her attention back to her work.

"The results of your test have come in. Just give me a moment to retrieve your information," she said, her focus unwavering on the computer screen.

I responded with a nod, my mind still muddled from the events that had unfolded over the past six hours. The test results felt like a distant concern. All I really wanted was to be back home, wrapped in the comfort of my own bed, and drift into much needed sleep. My mom had been insistent on an x-ray, and the medical staff had promptly heeded her request.

"Good news is that your arm is fine. Just some bruising and minor cuts, but nothing to be overly concerned about," the nurse informed, finally turning her attention towards me. I met her gaze, "As for your rib, it's bruised, but thankfully not fractured. The doctor has prescribed painkillers to help with the discomfort. I also suggest using warm compresses for pain relief and cold compresses for any swelling. You should be back to your normal self within a week."

Her words brought a measure of relief, like a small beacon of light cutting through the fog of my exhaustion. Even as my body throbbed with discomfort, it was reassuring to know that my injuries weren't as severe as they could have been.

"You're good to go," the nurse confirmed, offering a gentle smile. "I'll go ahead and notify the front office that you'll be discharged shortly."

I returned her smile with a grateful nod. The thought of leaving the clinical environment of the hospital room felt like a small victory in itself. As the nurse made her way towards the door, I took a moment to gather my belongings, including the prescription for pain relief and the discharge instructions. My gaze wandered to the window, where the early morning sunlight filtered through. When the nurse returned, she had a clipboard in hand and a few final forms for me to have. The hospital room, which had felt like a temporary haven, was now becoming a memory.

"You're all set," she said, her voice carrying a genuine warmth. "Just follow the hallway to the front office, and they'll take care of your discharge process."

"Thank you," I mumbled, easing myself off the bed, wincing at the lingering discomfort that ran through my body. I approached my mom's sleeping form, gently shaking her awake. She inhaled sharply, blinking away the remnants of sleep.

"What's going on? Everything okay?" Her voice was a mixture of concern and grogginess.

"They're discharging me. Let's head home," I replied, offering a small smile before gathering my belongings and exiting the room. With the slow steps of recovery, we walked down the corridor and made our way to the reception area. My mom completed the necessary paperwork, solidifying our departure. The drive back home was a quiet one, my mom still struggling against the pull of exhaustion. Thankfully, the early hour meant minimal traffic, and we arrived home shortly after five in the morning. I navigated my way inside, the house's familiarity a comforting presence. Each step seemed to press against the soreness in my ribs, sending an ache rippling through my abdomen. Despite the discomfort, I pushed through the journey up the stairs. After a ten minute struggle that felt like an eternity, I finally reached the top.