Chapter 3: Welcome to Hogwarts, Sorting

A voice echoed through the train "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to school separatly"

Both girls squealed in excitement. The train slowed right down and finally stopped. People pushed their way toward the door and out onto a wide, dark platform. Rhea had her arm linked to Hermione's, so they wouldn't be separate by the hord of students rushing out of the train.

"Firs' years! Firs' yars over here!"

Rhea saw a huge man, with a big, hairy face, beaming over the sea of heads.

'That must be Hagrid.' the girl though as she remembered Nymphadora's description of the sweet half-giant.

"C'mon follow me- anymore firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

Slipping and stumbling, they followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path.

"Remind me to beat my cousin for not telling me this part. It is bloody dark out here, I can see nothing, and I almost broke my leg." Rhea whispered dramatically into Hermione ear, provoking a giggle from the latter.

"I will." Hermine whispered back.

The rest of the walk was done in silence, except for the occasional sniffs coming from Neville. The poor boy has yet to find his toad pet.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec." Hagrid called over his wide shoulder, "Jus' round this bend here."

There was a lot of gasp and sounds of amazement, as the narrow path had openned suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched a top a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the vast castle with many turrets and towers.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. Before Rhea started to walk to a boat she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around, and was met with the beautiful, bright emerald eyes of one Harry Potter.

"Hey Harry, Can we help you?" Rhea tilted her head.

"Er- Do you mind if we share a boat with the two of you?" Harry said a little flustered.

Behind Harry stood Ron Weasley, his arms crossed, and a grimace on his face. It was abvious to Rhea that the red-headed boy was not fond of the idea of sharing a boat with her and Hermione; and to be honest, neither was she.

"Sure, but we sit on the front." Rhea said reluctantly.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then- FOWARD!"

And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding acrosss the black lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up in awe at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff; they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a courtain of ivy that hid a wide opening the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel wich seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle until they reachead a kind of underground harbour, where they clambered out onto rocks and pebbles.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid who was checking the boats as people climbed out of them.

"Trevor!" cried Neville blissfully holding out his hands. Then they clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last onto smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle.