The Beginning

Once again, it's another of my dad's grand celebrations. I'm not even sure why I'm here. All I want is a way out, please! I took a seat next to Obadiah since he was the only familiar face. I would've picked Rhodey, but he's about to give a speech.

"Seriously, where the hell is my dad? Shouldn't he be here? I mean, this event is all about him," I remarked to Obadiah, who casually sipped his drink. "Relax, (Y/N)... You can leave once your dad gets the award and finishes his speech," he reassured, his voice as rough as ever. Sometimes, that guy's voice gives me the creeps.

"Tony Stark. Visionary. Genius. American patriot. Even from an early age, the son of legendary weapons developer Howard Stark quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind. At age four, he built his first circuit board." The voice began speaking. My dad was famous for his appearance, his wit, and his extraordinary intelligence. I possessed my share of genius as well. However, my education had been rather unusual. I had never attended a school; instead, Jarvis provided me with daily lessons, much like a typical school's schedule. Lessons begin at 8:40 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. My dad believed that homeschooling was the best option for me, especially after what had happened. Besides, with my dad's many rivals, schooling posed additional risks for me.

"At age six, his first engine. And at 17, he graduated summa cum laude from MIT. Then, the passing of a titan. Howard Stark's lifelong friend and ally, Obadiah Stane, steps in to help fill the gap left by the legendary founder, until, at age 21, the prodigal son returns and is anointed the new CEO of Stark Industries." The voice continued, and my gaze shifted to Obadiah, who wore a subtle smirk and a hint of amusement upon the mention of his name.

"With the keys to the kingdom, Tony ushers in a new era for his father's legacy, creating smarter weapons, advanced robotics, and satellite targeting. Today, Tony Stark has changed the face of the weapons industry by ensuring freedom and protecting America and her interests around the globe." After that speech, the assembly came to an end with echoing applause and enthusiastic cheers.

"As liaison to Stark Industries, I've had the unique privilege of serving with a real patriot." Rhodey began speaking, as I released a soft, almost inaudible sigh, crossing my right leg over my left. All I wished for was to go home and slip into my cozy bed. "He is my friend and he is my great mentor." Rhodes carried on. Dad was my mentor as well. Sure, he could be annoying at times, but I always looked up to him.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honour to present this year's Apogee Award to Mr. Tony Stark." He spoke these words while lifting the award into the air. I scanned the room for my dad, but he was missing. When I turned to Obadiah for answers, all I received in return was a weighty shake of his head. "Tony?" Rhodes addressed into the microphone in a bid to capture my dad's attention, but there was no response, just eerie silence. No answer. Nothing. God, where in the world is this man?

Before any further outcomes unfolded, Obadiah strode purposefully toward the stage. Thank god. I prevented my gaze to my phone, hoping to avoid unwanted attention or questioning from curious bystanders.

"This is beautiful. Thank you. Thank you all very much. This is wonderful." Obadiah addressed the audience, his gaze fixed upon the award he held above in the air. "Well," he paused. "I'm not Tony Stark." Laughter rippled through the crowd in response to Obadiah's comment, though I couldn't find anything funny about it.

"But if I were Tony, I would tell you how honoured I feel and what a joy it is to receive this very prestigious award." He continued, I've also been honoured with awards. Dad's extended knowledge has been helpful in my achievement of multiple academic awards. "Tony, you know...The best thing about Tony is also the worst thing. He's always working."