memory #1

November 29, 1999

"Jimin! Come down!"

"Why eomma!" a small boy whined.

"We have to welcome the new neighbors, baby. Now hurry up and put your shoes on." Hye-jin was waiting at the doorway with her sandals on and a box of kimchi in her hands.

Jimin whined even more, "I don't want to!" But one look from his mother had him putting on his shows and out the door within a minute, sporting a small pout on his lips from being interrupted during his game. 

Hye-jin locked the door and turned around, putting the keys in her jacket pocket. Sensing Jimin's annoyance, she said, "I heard they have a child your age Jimin. You can play with them all you want once we get there, baby." Hearing this, Jimin seemed to have cheered up, now wearing a curious grin as he ran to a house opposite to theirs.

Hye-jin chuckled and said, "Other way, baby." He turned round and sprinted to another house with a 'for sale' sign still stuck in the lawn. "Is this the right one, eomma?"

"Ne, Jimin." Excited, he rang the doorbell about five times before a lady who appeared to be in her early thirties opened the door, a small girl in her hands. She set the girl down and opened the door wider while the girl hid behind her mother. The lady smiled down at the boy and said, "Hello there," she knelt to ground. "And who might you be, darling?" 

Jimin flashed a grin. "I'm Park Jimin," he said with a small bow and a proud smile. He peeked behind the lady and saw a girl about his age, maybe a few months younger, looking at him from behind her mother's legs.

"Are you lost? Where is your eomma?" She looked around for a moment before spotting another lady walking towards Jimin.

"Sorry, he runs away quickly," she chuckled. "I am Park Hye-jin, from two houses over. We just wanted to stop by to welcome you into the neighborhood."

Standing up, the lady smiled and said, "Hello there! I'm Choi Hari." They both bowed to each other and Hari invited them into her home graciously.

While walking down the hall, the woman conversed in quick words as the children stole furtive glances at one another.

Noticing this, Hari announced, "Areum, go show Jimin your toys while we talk, okay, darling?"

Nodding shyly, she looked towards Jimin, whose earlier confidence seemed to have disappeared as he looked towards him mother.

"Go, baby." she slightly nudged him towards Areum, causing him to stumble apprehensively. The mothers left, leaving them to curiously look at each other before Areum decided to speak up.

"I'm Choi Areum. What's your name?"

Feeling a bit more comfortable, Jimin looked up at her and said, "I'm Park Jimin. I'm five years old. I just turned five a few days ago."

"You're old. I'm turning five in few months." Jimin slightly glared at her but then smiled at her, receiving a bright one back.

"Hey, do you have any dolls to play with?" he asked, trying to find something in common.

Her eyes lit up. "Yes! I have a lot. Wanna see?" nodding, Jimin was pulled up the stairs by the hand as Areum giggled out of excitement. 

And just like that, three hours had gone by and the sun was beginning to set. 

"Jimin! Come down, it's time to go, baby!" At his mother's call, Jimin's small head popped out from behind the railing. 

"No! Why eommaaa?" he whined. next to him, Areum's tiny head appeared as well.

"Eomma! Can Jimin play for a little bit longer? Pleaaaaasee?"

"Ani, darling. They have to get home; it's getting late." Areum pouted, crossing her tiny arms against her chest.

"Ne, Jiminie. Appa is going to be home soon and I still have to make dinner, baby. Now, come along."

Sulking, Jimin took his mother's hand and waved to Areum.

"You can always play again, Jimin. Don't worry. Anytime you want to play, just ring our doorbell. Alright?" Nodding sadly, Jimin said bye and left with his mother as she turned away.