memory #3

August 5, 2009

"Class, today we are going to receive a new student. I want to all to be on your best behavior and show him kindness and respect. Understand?" the teacher called out.

"Yes, Miss." the class called out in unison.

"Wonderful. Now let's begin the class." she turned her back to class and began writing the notes on the board while everyone copied them down. Well, everyone except two students, who were whispering furiously at the back of the classroom.

"I wonder if it's a boy or a girl-"

"She said it's a him, dumbass."

"Okay, chill. I wonder if he's any interesting. Maybe he's tall. Oh! He could join the basketball team if he is, then we'll finally win the games-"

"Do you go one minute without the word 'basketball' flashing in your tiny brain?"

"Hey! I-"

"Anything you'd like to share with the rest of the class Jimin, Areum?"

The teacher looked at them expectedly while the rest of the class, save for a few students, turned their heads back to the board, used to Areum's and Jimin's antics.

They slightly bowed their heads, muttering apologies as they took to writing down the notes on the board before the teacher erased them.

It was nearing the end of the lesson when they heard a sharp knock on the door, turning everyone's heads in curiosity.

The teacher opened the door and appeared behind the door with the Principal right behind him.

"I hope you don't mind me interrupting the lesson-"

"Not at all, sir." said the teacher.

Chuckling genially, he continued, "We have a new student today, so please treat him with kindness." The Principal took his leave with a short bow, turning all the attention to the new boy.

"Oh. My. God." Areum whispered. Jimin, still working his notes, looked up to see what Areum was gawking at at was met with the sight of the handsomest boy he'd ever seen. He looked around the room to see the girls staring at him and some of the boys annoyed while their friends looked amused.

He turned back towards Areum to see her still gaping at the new boy and felt a prick of annoyance strike his chest, quickly spreading to stomach as well. 

"Class, this is Kim Taehyung. Please treat him well." Taehyung bowed slightly while the teacher told him to introduce himself to the class. 

"Hi, my name is Kim Taehyung. I go by Taehyung, and I'm thirteen years old. Er, I like playing basketball and I play the guitar." The girls, including Areum, swooned at his deep baritone of a voice. Some of the boys looked at him in amazement, as well. He looked towards the teacher with question in his eyes, asking if that was enough and if he could just sit down already. She nodded and said, "You can sit by Areum or Yeonjun, your choice. Kids, raise your hands."

Areum and Yeonjun raised their hands, and Taehyung swiftly sat on the left side of Areum, seeing as it's the one farthest back. Jimin watched as Areum sat up straighter in her seat and tossed her hair behind her when Taehyung sat down. He rolled his eyes, and proceeded to kick the back of her leg. She turned around with a glare and flicked his forehead, to which he responded with a push on the forehead. She stuck out her tongue and turned back around. 

She turned her attention back to the boy, who seemed to have noticed the exchange but chose to stay silent. He sent her a smile when he noticed her glance, and she took it as an invitation to start conversation.

"Hi, I'm Choi Areum. I'm thirteen, but I'm going to be fourteen in a few months. What about you? When's your birthday?" she whispered.

"December thirtieth," he paused. "So what kind of things do you like to do?"

Her eyes lit up at the question, clearly enjoying the conversation. "I play the violin. I've been learning for about nine years. I know how to badminton and tennis, but I prefer badminton. Tennis is overrated, anyway."

He chuckles lightly, "I want to disagree, but I really can't. Badminton is the better choice."

They continue talking for a few more minutes until a ruler was slapped on Areum's desk, causing the two to jump.

"Ms. Choi, if I see you speaking out of turn one more time, you will have an hour detention after school. Understand?"

Areum lightly rolled her eyes and muttered, "Ne, Ma'am."

"Good." 

She continued teaching, sending glances to Areum every few minutes until the bell finally rang. 

Areum was trying to pack up quickly when an idea popped up into her head.

"Hey, Taehyung," he looked towards her,  his own binder halfway in his bag. "Do you want to sit with us at lunch?" he smiled a boxy smile and nodded his head eagerly. She smiled back and said, "See you later!"

Leaning against the wall next to the door was Jimin, impatiently waiting for Areum to walk out the door. When she finally did, the first thing he heard was 'Taehyung' and a scowl adorned his face.

"-is going to sit with us at lunch today, ok? I invited him because he probably doesn't know anyone here, so expect him to be there."

Rolling his eyes, he said, "Fine."

Taehyung continued to sit with them for the rest of the year, and became close to the duo. Towards the middle of the year, Jimin (who had finally accepted Taehyung after many weeks of rolled eyes and snarky words, especially after seeing how well he plays basketball) and Areum adopted him into their group, making it the KPC Group after many years of being PC