memory #2

February 14, 2006

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to youu! Happy birthday, dear Areuuum! Happy birthday to youuuuu!"

Everyone clapped and cheered, as Areum blew out the giant candles that read '11', and Hari quickly brought the plates and plastic spoons over to the table and started serving everyone cake. Suddenly she looked up, hearing a loud noise. She looked towards the direction of the sound and was filled with amusement as the sight. 

"EEEEEEK!" Areum squealed. She scrunched her nose in surprise as Jimin rubbed frosting all over face, getting some on her hair as well. She grabbed a handful of frosting and began rubbing it Jimin's face as well. He tried to back away while still rubbing her face but found it difficult.

"Quick! Take a picture!"

*click*

Hyun-jin, with his quick reflexes, snapped two photos and handed them to Seo-jun to shake as he laughed his head off at the sight of Areum's face.

After cake and cleaning up, Hye-jin gathered all the kids for presents in the living room.

One by one, Areum opened her gifts, receiving things like bracelets, perfumes, teddy bears, and chocolate, all of which Areum absolutely loved. She reached for one of the remaining gifts which was wrapped in light purple and tied off with a white bow but then avoided it, remembering Jimin's request to open his gift later, after everyone else had left.

As soon as the last person had left, Areum slammed the door shut and turned around with a pleading look in her eyes.

"Can I open it now, pleeeaase?" he nodded and they both shot upstairs to her room, slamming the door shut when they reached.

"Open it, hurry!"

She pulled the ribbon and opened the wrapping slowly and carefully, testing Jimin's patience.

"Open it already!"

"But the wrapping! It's-"

"I don't care! Open it!"

She shot him a playful glare as she finally ripped the wrapping and opened the box it covered.

Inside the box was a silver necklace with a butterfly charm hanging from it, studded with light blue diamonds around the edge of the butterfly. 

The light from the evening sun caused the silver plate of the butterfly to appear light blue as the light passed through the diamonds.

"Oh my god...it's beautiful, Jimin. I love it," she looked up at him with a certain glint in her eye that only Jimin could recognize. "It looks stunning," She shook her head in disbelief. "I can't accept this, Jimin. It looks expensive."

"Well too bad because you're keeping it."

"I-"

"Besides, if you wear it, then we'll be matching." From underneath his hoodie, Jimin pulled out an identical silver necklace with the same butterfly studded with pink diamonds instead of blue.

Areum jumped on him, wrapping her arms around his neck so tight he couldn't breathe. 

"Areum," he choked out. "I can't breathe."

She loosened her grip but still held on.

"Thank you so much, Jiminie. I love it. Thank you."

Chuckling, Jimin pulls away slightly. "You're welcome, Ari."

The two spent the rest of the evening talking and making jokes with eachother, even skipping dinner to continue spending time together.

"Jimin, it's time to go!" called his father, but he received no response. As he made his way upstairs to Areum's room, he noticed the lack of sound coming from it and opened the door a little.

"Jimin?" To the far left of the spacious room was a bed which held two, fast asleep people, already in each of their pajamas and tied up in each other's warm embrace.

Smiling,  Hyun-soo quietly called for the three other adults and told them to bring a camera. They did as they were told and 'aww' ed at the sight they found in Areum's bed.

Pulling the blanket and tucking it under Jimin's and Areum's chins, the parents left the room and closed the door, letting the two bask in each others warmth for a little while longer.