Chapter 2: A Farewell to Mona

In the final weeks before Mona's departure for college, the two lovers were inseparable. They filled their days with stayovers, camping adventures, and long nights beneath the stars, savoring each moment as if they could freeze time itself. The unspoken understanding hung heavy between them: Mona's dream of attending law school was drawing her away from everything she held dear, including Rizzy.

Though every fiber of her being longed to beg Mona to stay, Rizzy knew she couldn't be the one to clip Mona's wings. This was her dream, one she had nurtured since they first met, and Rizzy refused to be the one to dim its brilliance.

So, they created memories instead, etching laughter and shared secrets into the very fabric of their love. They watched sunsets melt into the horizon, whispered sweet nothings into the night, and promised that no distance could ever break their bond.

When the day finally arrived, the air felt thick with unspoken sorrow. Rizzy handed Mona a small ceramic mug she had crafted herself. It was adorned with intricate patterns, a piece of her heart poured into clay. Mona accepted it with a tearful smile.

"Whenever you sip your coffee or tea from this mug, know that I'm with you, always," Rizzy whispered.

Mona nodded, her voice choked with emotion. She removed a beautiful silver bracelet from her wrist, a piece of jewelry she always wore, and handed it to Rizzy. "Take this, Riz. Whenever you wear it, remember me."

Although Rizzy had never been into accessories or fashion, she accepted the bracelet with gratitude. It was a tangible piece of Mona, something to hold onto when the loneliness crept in.

As Mona's car disappeared down the road, Rizzy returned home, her heart heavy with sorrow. But her parents, perceptive as always, knew how to lift her spirits. It was pizza and Netflix day, a tradition they had forged over the years to comfort her in moments of sadness.

Rizzy appreciated her parents' unwavering support. Though she had told them that Mona was her best friend, she suspected they knew the depth of her feelings. They spent the evening together, sharing laughter and stories, finding solace in each other's company.

But as the night settled in and Rizzy retreated to her room, the emptiness of Mona's absence weighed on her. Her phone buzzed, and she found a message from Mona with a photo of her new college dorm. It was a cozy space, adorned with Mona's familiar touch.

Rizzy smiled through her sadness and texted back, "It looks great, Mona. I'm so proud of you."

As she lay in bed, Rizzy's thoughts turned to her own uncertain future. The road ahead was a vast, uncharted territory, and she knew she had to find her own path. But for now, all she could do was cherish the memories she had created with Mona and hope that their love would endure the distance that now separated them.