Chapter 4: Dreams in Progress

With her part-time job interview behind her, Rizzy anxiously awaited the call or email that would determine whether she would secure the position as a cashier. It seemed like the perfect job for her, one that wouldn't require long and heated discussions with customers.

The interviewer had inquired about her motivations for seeking the job, and Rizzy, following her mother's advice, had simply explained that she had recently completed high school and was considering her next steps while working part-time. The interviewer seemed satisfied with her response, and Rizzy left the interview with a mix of hope and uncertainty.

Her focus, however, quickly turned to finding the perfect space for her pottery studio. After speaking with several real estate agents online, she agreed to view some potential properties. The first one they visited was a discontinued department store. It was spacious, with glass walls offering plenty of natural light, but it was marred by the presence of mouse droppings that sent shivers down Rizzy's spine. The real estate agent assured her it could be cleaned, but Rizzy couldn't shake the fear of rodents returning.

They moved on to another property, one with a stunning view of the ocean through its windows. It had three rooms in total, with one large open space leading to the outside and two additional rooms in the back, perfect for her pottery projects. However, its location was less than ideal, far from the hustle and bustle of potential customers unless there was a festival or special event.

The final property they explored was a run-down restaurant, complete with tables and chairs still in place. Rizzy could envision how she could transform it into her dream pottery studio, but when the real estate agent mentioned the rent, her heart nearly sank. It was exorbitantly high.

Rizzy thanked the agent and told them she needed time to consider her options. She returned home, carrying the weight of her dreams and the reality of her financial limitations. She shared the details with her parents, who, ever supportive, offered to help with the rent until her business took off. Her mother even suggested selling some of her own paintings to supplement Rizzy's income until her pottery pieces could sustain her.

Rizzy hesitated, not wanting to burden her parents, but her mother insisted, her love and support unwavering. With newfound determination, Rizzy decided to pursue the old restaurant property. She would work tirelessly to transform it into the pottery studio of her dreams.

Eager to share the news, she FaceTimed Mona, showing her pictures of the potential spaces. Mona, in the midst of her own excitement over her college lectures, was thrilled by Rizzy's progress. They exchanged stories of their respective journeys, each taking steps toward their dreams, even as the world around them continued to change and evolve.