Chapter 6: Misunderstandings

Rizzy's eyes shot open to the piercing sound of her alarm, but it was the sight of her phone that truly jolted her awake. Five missed calls and ten unread texts from Mona stared back at her. Cursing under her breath, she frantically swiped her screen, reading through Mona's messages that dripped with disappointment and sadness.

Mona (text): "Rizzy, where were you last night? I waited and waited..."

Mona (text): "Did something happen? Are you okay?"

Mona (text): "I thought you'd at least call..."

Mona (text): "I saw your Instagram post and that comment. What's going on?"

Mona (text): "Rizzy, this isn't like you..."

Rizzy's heart pounded in her chest as she dialed Mona's number, but it went straight to voicemail. The Mona she knew wouldn't intentionally avoid her, and that realization sent her anxiety into overdrive. She needed something to calm her nerves, and she needed it quickly.

In a frantic dash, Rizzy bolted out of bed, not even bothering to change out of her pajamas. She rushed downstairs, her trembling hands snatching her dad's coffee cup. She gulped down the coffee, earning a shocked exclamation from her father.

"Hey!" he exclaimed, taken aback by her behavior.

Rizzy's parents had observed her escalating panic and exchanged concerned glances. Her mother, sensing something was amiss, gently sat her down and asked, "What's going on, Rizzy? You seem really upset."

The weight of her relationship problems bore down on Rizzy, but she couldn't bring herself to tell her parents the truth. They didn't even know about her relationship with Mona, let alone the current turmoil. Instead, she fabricated a story about a bad morning dream, desperately hoping to divert their attention away from her relationship struggles.

"You know how they say, morning dreams always come true," Rizzy added, forcing a weak smile to mask her inner turmoil.

As she tried to compose herself, the doorbell rang, interrupting the tense moment. Rizzy's dad went to answer it, and she assumed it was a neighbor or someone dropping by. However, when her dad greeted the visitor with warmth, saying, "Oh hey there! How are you?" Rizzy's eyes widened in disbelief.

Mona stormed into the house, ignoring Rizzy's parents, and stood resolutely in front of her. Rizzy couldn't believe her eyes. Without wasting another moment, Rizzy took Mona's hand and led her hastily toward her room. Mona offered a silent apology to Rizzy's parents with a glance as she followed.

As soon as they were inside the room, Rizzy's pent-up emotions erupted in a passionate kiss. She pushed Mona against the wall, their lips crashing together with fervor. Mona returned the kiss, but her passion was tinged with anger. The intensity of the moment led to a fierce collision, causing Rizzy's lip to bleed.

Rizzy pulled away, gasping for breath, and finally had a clear view of Mona's face. Fury radiated from her, and Mona's voice was laced with anger as she questioned Rizzy.

Mona: "What happened, Rizzy? Why didn't you call or text? And what's with that Instagram post?"

Rizzy, tears welling up in her eyes, felt the weight of guilt press upon her. She recounted everything that had transpired, how she'd forgotten to reach out, and the overwhelming exhaustion that had consumed her. As she spoke, their tears flowed freely, mingling with their pent-up emotions.

Rizzy: "I'm so sorry, Mona. I never meant for any of this to happen. I missed you so much, and I almost had a panic attack."

In that vulnerable moment, their shared tears and heartfelt words began to bridge the gap between them, transforming their anger and misunderstanding into a renewed sense of closeness and understanding.

After the emotional storm of their confrontation and reconciliation, Mona and Rizzy found themselves sitting on Rizzy's bed, their fingers intertwined. The room was filled with a heavy silence, both of them acutely aware of the need for a conversation, one that would define the path of their relationship.

Mona's voice was gentle, her eyes searching Rizzy's as she spoke. "Rizzy, I can't just keep missing my classes and come see you all the time. It's important for my education, and I know it's crucial for you to pursue your dreams too. We can't let our love get in the way of that."

Rizzy nodded, her throat tight with a mixture of relief and understanding. She knew that Mona was right, but it didn't make it any easier to hear. "You're right, Mona. I don't want to be the reason you miss out on your studies, and I don't want my dreams to interfere with your goals either."

Mona offered a reassuring smile, her fingers gently tracing patterns on Rizzy's hand. "So, let's find a way to make this work. We can text each other whenever we have some free time, share our experiences, and stay connected that way. It might not be the same as being together all the time, but it's a way for us to support each other."

Rizzy's heart felt lighter as she listened to Mona's suggestion. It was a practical solution that would allow them to maintain their individual pursuits while still cherishing their relationship. She leaned in and pressed a loving kiss on Mona's lips, a silent affirmation of their commitment to make things work.

Rizzy: "I love you, Mona, and I want us to be responsible and understanding partners."

Mona: "I love you too, Rizzy. We'll overcome this together, and our love will only grow stronger."

With that, they sealed their agreement with a tender embrace, their hearts filled with hope for a future where their dreams and love could coexist harmoniously.