Chapter 3

We at BMW do not build cars as consumer objects, just to drive from A to B. We build mobile works of art.” ~Chris Bangle

"So what have you decided?" Zainab's father asked her the next morning. 

Zainab looked up from her bowl of cereal.  "Did you leave me any choice?" A scowl marred her face.  

Her father grimaced and shook his head. "I just wanted to make sure you are on the same page with us?"

She shrugged and toyed with her spoon.  "You made it clear there are no other pages." She gripped the spoon as anger and frustration welled within her.  

"I am glad you understand the situation. We can't afford to upset the Yakubus." 

"That's not surprising," she muttered under her breath.  

"Did you say something?" He asked. 

"No," she lied and took a spoonful of food.  

"Okay. There's another thing."

"What again?" Her shoulders slouched as dread filled her.  

"Danladi requested to meet with you this afternoon at 4."

"Oh!" Her stomach flipped. " What for?" 

His eyes darkened. "He didn't specify."

"Hmm," her brows drew together. "Well, I have classes today."

"No problem. Just be back before 4." 

"Okay," she said and turned back to her food. 

The clanking of cutlery engulfed the silence as each family member focused on their meal and thoughts.  Zainab finished her food and stood up with her plate. Following her family's tradition, she thanked her parents before leaving the table.  

"Zainab," her mother called her as she turned to go.  

"Yes, Uwa?" She turned around.  

"When you get ready come downstairs; we have something to show you." 

Her forehead wrinkled and her stomach squeezed. "Okay…I will be back soon."

Her mother smiled slightly before turning away.  

As Zainab walked to the kitchen, she couldn't help but wonder what her parents wanted to show her. 

Oh Lord, please don't let it be something that will turn my life upside down again.  

She hurried into the kitchen to wash her plate and whatever dirty dish was in the sink. After keeping the utensils in their proper places, she went to her room to prepare for school.  

Several minutes later, she was clad in a black A-line dress with a black scarf tied around her head.  An ensemble that matched her sour mood. She looked at the mirror and frowned at the bags under her eyes. A sign of her sleepless night.  

Yesterday, after leaving her mother, she raced to her room and spent the rest of the day in tears. Even when her sister brought her dinner, she refused to eat and her sister finally departed with disappointment. She spent the night tossing and turning with tears dripping down her face.  

She turned away from the mirror and slipped into her black sneakers. After placing her essentials in her backpack, she flung it over her shoulder, left the room and went downstairs.  

Her sister greeted her with a smile as she reached the end of the stairs.

"Kana lafiya?" Her sister touched her arm.