Chapter 4

Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the person you thought would never let you down. – Unknown

D

anladi's proclamation shook Zainab to her core.  

How could my life take such a drastic turn? 

Zainab's eyes drifted outside to the rolling skies and flying birds.  The heaviness in her heart prevented her from studying the history textbook open in front of her. 

It was two days after she met with Danladi and she hadn't recovered from the shock of his declaration.  

Your schooling must stop. 

Her reaction after he dropped the bomb came to mind.  

                   ★★Flashback★★

"You are my wife now. Your schooling has to stop."

Danladi's words echoed in her ears and she doubled over.  

"What do you mean?" she breathed out with wide eyes.  

"You heard me.  Your going to university has to end."

"That can't happen.  I need to get my degree." 

His eyes darkened.  "As my wife, that degree is useless because you are not allowed to work." 

Zainab's mouth opened and closed as she found herself at a loss for words.  Thoughts of all kinds raced in her mind.  A myriad of emotions surged through her.  Finally, one emotion dominated the rest.  Anger.  

She sat up straight and glared at him.  "I am not going to end my education just because I am your wife."

His eyes narrowed. "You don't have a choice." 

"Yes, I do. I can get this so-called marriage annulled." She raised her chin. 

His face morphed into a scowl and he glared at her. "You won't dare."

"Try me." She pinned him with a hard stare. 

His scowl suddenly changed to a smile. "If you attempt to annul our marriage then be rest assured you and your family will lose everything."

"Is that a threat?" Her brows rose.  

"Consider it a promise."  A smirk played on his lips.  

As she stared at him, a question popped into her mind. 

"What will you benefit from being married to me?" Her head tilted to the side.  

"Many things." He leaned back on his seat with a twinkle in his eyes. 

"Like what?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out." His smile widened.

She shook her head. "It's hopeless talking to you." 

He produced a laugh. "I will take that as a compliment." 

Zainab rolled her eyes and rose to her feet. "Suit yourself. I'm out of here." She turned to go.  

"See you soon, wifey." He snickered.  

I hope not.  Zainab thought as she walked.  

             ★★End of flashback★★