Easter

Easter

Aurora slips and slides her way across the wet grass towards Hagrid's hut. As she nearly goes arse over tea-kettle once more, she curses under her breath, "Why oh why can't I just fly out here?"

A couple of minutes later she takes a step off the grass and onto the mud outside Hagrid's hut, only for her foot to slide out from underneath her, sending her sliding into the slight dip caused by regular traffic.

After her surprised scream, the door to Hagrid's hut opens to reveal a nervous Hagrid, "Professor Sinistra, are you all right?"

Aurora carefully pushes herself to her feet, "It only hurt my pride. I wasn't expecting the grass to be quite this slippery."

Hagrid nods, "Aye, it gets like that sometimes. Your shoes certainly don't help either."

Aurora looks down at them ruefully, "You're right. Though, to be fair I'd have brought my walking staff if I'd realised how bad it was. But it was one of those afternoons where you have a couple of hours free time, and it looked nice out so I figured I'd come and see how you're doing."

Hagrid looks down at his feet, "Ya needn't do that, ah'm just fine."

Aurora carefully draws her wand and uses it to clean herself off, "Hagrid, you've barely left your hut for the last couple of weeks. You've got smoke pouring from your chimney, and your curtains are closed, yet it's more than comfortable out here."

Hagrid mumbles almost as loudly as most men speak softly, "You were always a kind one weren't you." In a more normal tone he says, "No, really, I'm fine. I've, er, just got a project in my hut."

Aurora smiles up at Hagrid, "Oh, anything interesting?"

Hagrid shakes his head, "Not really, 's just a dragons egg." Then he frowns, "I dinna mean to say that."

Aurora sighs, "Hagrid, you're really too good for your own good. Come on, let's see it and you can tell me all about it."

═══════ ೋღ ֍ ღೋ ═══════

Grim faced, Ironjaw walks into the Director's office with a tightly wound scroll, "Director, I have important news from the goblins that left with healer Straightseam."

The Director looks at the scroll, "What's the news? And why did it take them so long to send us a reply?"

Ironjaw takes a deep breath, "I'll answer the second question first. According to this letter, their owls were all killed or captured by the Grineer during the early days of their negotiations. After that, Earth was almost cut off from the rest of the solar system by most of the Tenno flocking to the Zariman Ten-Zero to try and push the Grineer and Corpus out of their birth place."

The Director shakes his head, "What of our own letters?"

Ironjaw looks down at the scroll in his hands, "None of the guards survived longer than a year there. There was a Ghoul outbreak and they died defending the settlement long enough for the civilians to retreat."

"And Healer Straightseam?"

Ironjaw hands over the letter, "It would be better for you to read his own words yourself."

═══════ ೋღ ֍ ღೋ ═══════

Director, care of Ironclaw

My apologies for the delay in sending you an owl, as it appears that my personal missive was never delivered. I will summarise that missive at the end of this letter, but suffice to say that my wife and I had long discussions about our decisions.