Chapter Three - New Tutor, New Friend

"Dude, trust me, you're missing out

"Dude, trust me, you're missing out."

- Rigby

.+* *+.

"Library at 3:45," Mordecai muttered to himself as the last bell of the school day rang out. With a great sigh, he slung his bag over his shoulder and headed down the hall to the meeting point anxious to make it on time, but not so anxious to be spending it with Twilight. He didn't want to know what would happen to him if he was late.

Walking through the doors of the library, he looked around for his new tutor. The library was quite large, which was to be expected for a private school setting, he supposed. He wasn't one for reading that much, but he could imagine indulging himself in a book or two while he went to school here. Who knew if or when he'd be moving again. Something about the atmosphere of the quiet students that made it seem like the place was empty. Combined with the late afternoon light that seeped in through the windows, he was feeling a little excited about being there. But then he remembered his tutoring sessions, and his mood was quickly put out.

Despite this, he couldn't help but do a double-take when he finally laid eyes on Twilight, sitting at a table by the windows half-hidden by a bookshelf. The way the light danced in her hair, how calm yet focused her eyes were on the book she was studying, the care and gentleness she took in turning the pages as if they were made of glass.

As much as he hated her, Mordecai could appreciate beauty when he saw it.

"Oh, you're here." Twilight remarked, looking up from the pages with a carefully neutral expression. "Shall we start, then?"

Mordecai took a seat across from her, glancing away from her enchanting eyes. "Yeah, lemme just get my stuff."

It was a wonder that the two of them were now forced to work together in spite of their... great dislike of one another. No one quite knew when their feud had begun, not even Twilight or Mordecai themselves could answer that question. But it was now only November, and if there was one thing that they did know, it was that the way that their relationship was now evolving would certainly pose a challenge not only for themselves, but others around them. 

And they still had the rest of the school year to go.

"So, I think we should start from the beginning of this quarter's lessons. What do you think?" Twilight asked, though it was clear that she wasn't interested in Mordecai's opinion. They both knew that if he was going to get anywhere they would have to begin there. Not that Mordecai would ever truly admit it.

"Yeah, sure."

Opening to a fresh page in his notebook, Mordecai looked up expectantly to Twilight, pencil hanging steady over the paper.

If I'm going to be studying with the school's smartest student, Mordecai thought to himself, I might as well make the most of it, I guess.