Chapter Eight - First Place

~ "And? Who are you going with?" ~

- Twilight Sparkle

.+* *+.

December

For the first time in a while, Twilight was doing her homework during tutoring sessions. This scared Mordecai a bit, because it made him realize that maybe he'd have to put in a little more effort than he'd already been putting in to make sure that he got at least a C+ or better on the math final that was barreling towards them. In fact, finals were just next week, and he could practically--No, he could definitely sense the tension that had been radiating off of his pony tutor in waves that crashed every time she took a little break and released a sigh that she seemed to have been holding in for days. But it wasn't just Twilight who was stressed for finals, of course. 

After the announcement for the winter dance last month, the whole school had been buzzing with anxiety and excitement. Next Saturday, a couple days after the last class of finals, students would flock to the cafeteria, which would be transformed into a dance floor and buffet for everyone to enjoy.

It was a little cheap, in Mordecai's opinion. If his family was going to be paying for him to go to a private school, he's have hoped that a school dance would be something a little fancier, but maybe this year's theme was A Dance at your Typical High School in the American Mid-West, or something.

His parents had bothered him about a date for weeks, and now he was determined. He was going to ask Margaret to the school dance. And as far as he could tell, she hadn't mentioned getting asked by anyone yet, so he might as well shoot his shot.

"Hey, you never told said what you got on the pop quiz Ms. Celestia gave last week," Twilight said, cocking an eyebrow at Mordecai expectantly as she stretched during one of her breaks.

His face broke out in a smile, and he excitedly unzipped his backpack, digging around for his folder. Pulling out said quiz, his slid it across the table with a smug grin.

"What do you think of... that! Wooooaaahhhh!"

She flipped the paper around, skeptical at first, then her eyebrows shot up behind her bangs in surprise at a bright red B+ circled at the top of the page. 

"Oh, wow. You actually did really well on this one!"

His smile grew at her praise. "I know, right? Even I wasn't really sure if I'd pass, but I guess I did pretty good."

It's better than good, Twilight thought to herself as she read through the problems that had been crossed through to mark a mistake. 

"I'm glad that you tried the bonus question," she said, nodding appraisingly, "You were actually pretty close to solving that one correctly, you just multiplied one part wrong."