three

❝Life gave me some lemons so I made some lemonade
Soda pop, soda pop, baby, here I come
Straight to number one❞

❝Life gave me some lemons so I made some lemonadeSoda pop, soda pop, baby, here I comeStraight to number one❞

Walking into a room filled with suited-up men always made me weak in the knees. And not in a good way my characters usually experienced but in the very real way most women did living in a corporate world dominated by men.

I felt like I was going to throw up. Or throw hands. Or both.

The email HR had sent to me yesterday had intimated me of an urgent meeting requested with regard to some 'concerns' they had about my work. What concerns these were, I could not even begin to fathom.

I had spent the better part of last night pouring over the company's code of conduct and wracking my brain on how I could have violated any of the rules. I'd gotten zilch.

Evan had interrogated me, asking if I'd had any 'sexual feelings' or otherwise about any of my colleagues that had somehow slipped into public knowledge. The company had a very strict no-workplace romance policy. But fortunately for me, and unfortunately for my overall relationship status, that never happened in real life. At least not for me.

I was going into this meeting blind and the judgemental tone in the air upon entering and walking over to the long table gave me a feeling I'd be leaving it with my vision just as compromised. But whatever this was, I wouldn't show visible weakness.

Giving the three suits seated there a polite smile, I sunk down into the chair waiting for me at the far end of the oval table. It was farther away from them than necessary—the HR rep on the 'case', the Legal associate, and my direct manager. But none of them asked me to come closer, as if my proximity to the door was warranted.

"Gentleman," I said, nodding my head to acknowledge them.

Be. Cool.

"So what is this about?"

Robin smiled at that, the only person here who knew my work ethic well enough to appreciate it. I never beat around the bush. But the one ally in my corner (or so I presumed) wasn't the one to speak.

The suit from Legal cleared his throat. I recognized his face but couldn't remember the name. By the look of sheer discomfort in his eyes, I thought it wouldn't be a problem.

"We've had a concerning allegation brought up about you, Ms. Collins."

My hands on my lap tightened.

"Oh?"

I frowned, letting my confusion show.

"An allegation?"

"That you've been using company property to build a side income of yours."

My frown deepened. Last week, someone had been fired from another division for soliciting a client's information ahead of their resignation, perhaps to funnel the client for themselves. Were they investigating many teams because of this?