twenty one (II)

❝Tell me what you mean
Is it all me?
Start to overthink everything.❞

I awoke to the sound of banging

I awoke to the sound of banging. Not the sensual kind a voyeurist would hope for. Actual, hardcore, wrapped-fist-on-wood banging.

Being the light sleeper I am, I shot straight up off the mess of blankets and pillows on the floor and peered at the front door through squinted eyes. My movement caused Aiden's arm that had, somehow, wrapped around my waist to go flying off, rolling him off the fort and back onto the carpeted floor of the living room and onto his back.

The sleeping grizzly bear was unfazed though, still snoring up a storm.

"Helloooo?"

A soft voice echoed from the other side of the door. I didn't recognize it.

Groaning, I got to my feet and carefully plodded over Aiden's snoring form to the door. I didn't bother patting myself down or fixing my hair as I jerked the door open, fully expecting a confused neighbor or delivery man. I was greeted by neither.

"Hi."

My jaw loosened, mouth falling ajar at the vision in front of me.

I was met by a timid smile and wave from a girl who was the literal embodiment of a flawless caramel dream with cheekbones so sharp you could cut yourself. She had a face face chiseled by the gods and was either Indian or Latina. I was leaning toward the former.

"Is...uh, Aiden here?" she asked with an alto-like voice as smooth as melted chocolate. I blinked, momentarily forgetting how words worked because, damn, she was pretty.

Silky, short hair-like a Korean boy band member, I swear-with an oversized cashmere sweater that screamed 'I'm both fashionable and cozy,' paired with pants that looked effortlessly cool. Oh, and let's not forget the cute rainbow scarf casually tied around her long neck.

"Yeah, yeah, he's here," I finally managed to say, not even sure if I sounded coherent. She was just about my height but raised on her toes, peering past me to the sound of the snoring.

"That sounds like A."

A?

Again with the familiarity.

An embarrassing jolt of insecurity shot through me as I gauged this walking Picasso piece. Could she be an ex?

"Come in," I said quietly then stepped back, giving her an opportunity to walk in. As she did, I couldn't help but call out to Aiden, loud enough to jolt him.

"Hey, sleeping beauty, wake up! There's a girl here for you."

Aiden, the snoring maestro, responded with a snort and a half-conscious "hmmm?" before rolling over onto his chest now. I was considering full on bodyslamming him into consciousness when an uncomfortable clearing of throats caught my attention.