57 | daughter

FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, I am reminded how dutiful and compassionate my friends are.

Even Delaney, who grumbled at having to exit her house when she was planning to binge TV shows the whole weekend before her Chem exam. Even Drew, whose sleep schedule has slid into nocturnalism without the need to come into school every day, with his mussed hair and dark under eyes.

I relay everything I heard at the Shack, the encounter spilling from me like a waterfall. "So, what do you think? Neither of them knew I was there. I think they were completely genuine."

A weighty, stunned silence has fallen on our table. I understand the range of emotions everyone must be feeling, as I went through the same cycle yesterday. Leah is about to talk, the gentlest of breaths being pulled in through her lips ready to expel as words, but is interrupted.

Delaney stands abruptly. Her sharp movement causes the legs of her chair to drag back on the wood of the library floor, screeching discordantly. "I need to call Suki."

Then, I remember who Suki is.

She was the girl who allegedly was targeted by the Monarchy in sophomore year. In the first month of being at Carsonville, Delaney told me they falsified medical records and planted abortion brochures in Suki's belongings to make her strictly pro-life parents think she was pregnant and aborted the child. Supposedly, Suki's fervent denial of ever being pregnant then made her parents believe she had mental health issues and relocate her to a school for special needs teenagers.

Is it possible she was pregnant after all?

Delaney wanders to a far, secluded corner of the library, waiting exasperatedly for her old friend to pick up. While the call takes place, I turn to my remaining friends. "This messes everything up. I'm so confused."

Benjamin's eyes soften sympathetically. "Let's just wait till Delaney gets off the phone with Suki. Until it's confirmed, we shouldn't jump to conclusions."

I nod numbly, trying to tether myself to his logical words in order to avoid floating off into the tumultuous havoc in my head. What would I do without him, without all of my friends? "Thank you for coming, guys. I know you were really wanting to study."

He nods. "Anytime."

A suspenseful silence falls on our unit, only dispelled when Delaney takes her seat again. Her stormy grey eyes are clouded over, an unreadable but ominous emotion thundering within. "Well?" Leah asks.

Delaney clears her throat, her lips pursed uncomfortably. "It's true. Suki, um, and Terrence have a daughter together."

"Fuck," Drew says what we are all thinking. "That's so weird."

On the receiving end of a questioning frown from Delaney, Drew elaborates. "Only because Suki was so quiet, bookish, you know? And Terrence is— well, um... Terrence? I didn't even know they were a thing. Unless it was a fling." Drew shudders, mumbling again, "So weird."

"I know. I know." A dejected sigh escapes Delaney. "I thought she was a good friend, as well. Before she left, we were in the same homeroom class. I thought she would have told me, or asked me for help at least. So, proves how much I really knew her."

"Did she explain why everyone thinks she was framed?" I wonder.

"Apparently, Brittany saved her daughter. She was alone and isolated when she found out, and she never opened up to Terrence the way he deserved. She was going to abort, until one day Brittany found out and surprisingly became part of her support network. It was because of her that Suki learned she was strong enough to do it." My eyebrows raise. Brittany being selfless?