10 | stereo

LEAH AND DELANEY ARE WAITING at the Stereo Shack by the time Drew and I arrive together.

Originally, this Saturday lunch date was supposed to be a girls date between Leah and I, but things have changed ever since the fight went down. Benjamin is invited, too, though I don't know how he will fare with his injuries. He was in and out of the nurse's office before Drew and I even arrived, unhindered by a limp.

"Sophie!" Delaney waves me over to their booth. "We ordered you guys a hot chocolate. Do you like hot chocolate?"

Drew says, "Of course."

"Yes," I smile gratefully. "Thanks."

Drew and I took the bus together, looking much better already. But the battle scars are a long way from healed. Seeing his stitches and raw face makes me want to fuss over him, to make sure he is alright, and indirectly soothe my conscience.

Ms. Stell did warn us that he might need a second stitching if they came out early. The cuts have scabbed over, and are lying on top of a diluted, sickly purple shade. The sallow lilac looks like an infection on Drew's dark skin. The blood-filled hills across his face, thrown up by the impact of Derek's fists, have been pressed down with ice.

He looks happy and any traces of yesterday's pain has vanished. If I only look at his eyes, I won't be able to tell that he has a sprained wrist and bruised ribs and stitches. Doubt claws at my smile, reminding me how much pain getting his stitches put him in. Maybe he's just lying to stop me worrying, like he did for his mother.

I want to get angry all over again, but Drew doesn't need to see any more anguish. He has his own pain to deal with.

Just as we finish our hot chocolates, a silver 1990 Camry pulls up outside. It's the flawless paintwork on an old design that grabs my eye, for some reason. The sun drops over it like a loving hand, and throws itself into my eyes with metallic winks. A boy gets out, slamming the door shut with a chirp of his keys.

Benjamin.

Delaney twists her mouth into a sour pucker as she watches Benjamin, hinting at irritation. Is she mad at him for some reason? I would have thought she'd be grateful to him, for stepping in. Then it occurs to me that she is mad because of that.

I don't need defending. I remember that part.

When Benjamin sits down, I see a flash of irritation across his face when he spots Delaney. I'm confused. For two people who took on the same person yesterday, they are awfully hostile towards each other. It's only thirty minutes later, when the conversation has moved past thanking and checking over the injuries of Benjamin and Drew, that I find out why.

Delaney is one of the smartest people in the school, but she rules only over the domain of English and the Social Sciences. Benjamin is also one of the smartest people in the school, but he rules only over the domain of Mathematics and the Sciences. Between then have been this years-long intellectual rivalry, which will culminate with the announcement of the valedictorian at the end of the year.

It's clear both of them want the trophy.

So, although my newfound friends aren't the chummiest, there seem to be these invisible threads that connect everyone. Those threads are probably hatred, like everyone who has ever felt the Monarchy's hold has a common enemy. The enemy of my enemy is my friend type situation.

We've subconsciously formed a support group. We instinctively protect and defend each other. An hour after our arrival, the doorbell jingles, interrupting a laugh from me. My eyes slide, simply out of habitual curiosity, to glimpse whoever is coming in.