Wolves of the Beyond: Four Seasons

Wolves of the Beyond (c) Kathryn Lasky

OC's (c) HiddenWolf

Lyrics (c) Namie Amuro

Lyrics (c) Since October

                                                              Wolves of the Beyond

                                                                      Four Seasons

                                          Four seasons with your love, within my heart

                       ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****

The first few days had been the hardest for Lorcan and the newborns. Unable to supply milk at the time, the pups were slowly starving to death, they needed milk and fast. Every whimper and desperate cry out for food tore at her heart strings. She knew she couldn't do anything to help the hunger but she did know someone who could. In the previous days Lorcan had met up with an emotionally and mentally worn lone she wolf that recently been run out of her pack. Seperated from her pups and mate for giving birth to a whole liter of malcadh pups. Her name was Amour, that when translated meant love. Amour lived up to her name as a caring mother as well as having a giving nature. Amour and Lorcan helped raise the pups together, splitting up the tasks between the two evenly.

*****

The difficult winter passed with many trails and issues along the way. Shortly after Amour was taken in by Lorcan to help raise the pups as well as giving her a secure home for the winter she had discovered a dead pup. The pup turning out to be the only male among her litter. He was a magnificent specimen. His coat used to be beautiful mixture of gold and fawn that dazzled in the light that washed in through the entrance of the den. But now the life had since faded from his body, leaving a limp dead body, stained with innocent blood. "My babies are dead..." She'd cry to Lorcan in pain. "I couldn't do anything to protect them.." The words broke through her choked up cries. There were no words to describe a mother's tears, and it was hard to see Amour go through so much strife.

Along with the discovery of the half eaten pup carcasses was the strange scene that Lorcan had discovered. Near the end of the winter she'd gone to pay respects to the dead mother of these pups. Though upon arrival Lorcan noticed that there were no bones. She'd sniffed and dug around the area. No tufts of torn fur, no carcass, no scattered bones, no nothing. It was like the bloody scene had been wiped clean off the earth, there was no trace that anything tragic had taken place. Lorcan assumed that some desperate animal must've dragged off the corpse shortly after her death.

*****

Finally eight weeks had passed by. It had felt like an eternity had passed by. Both pups were large enough to venture from the den with Lorcan and Amour and eat there first chunks of real meat. Though not only were the pups growing but so were the plants around them. Snow was finally melting giving way to newly grown dewy grass. Hibernating animals were waking with empty stomachs rumbling for food, and mating season was just around the corner for some animals. Larger game would be abundant and it would be a good season for hunting food.

Lior had grow into an out spoken bold young pup while his sister had grown to be reasonable, observant and clever. As they both grew they gained many more features and markings, Adrina strongly resembling her deceased mother. Lorcan was proud of them both. How they had grown so much. How they had survived a harsh winter under the care of two strangers that could've killed them where they lay. It gave Lorcan some brief hope in the world.

"Alban, get over here please." Called Lorcan over her shoulder. The white pup was sniffing curiously at a tiny red sproutling that had just bloomed. His sister joined in on the thorough examination of the flowers and wagged her tail in joy. This new spring world was alien to them, they'd never felt spongy moss underpaw or caught scent of a flower just in bloom.

"What is this stuff?" He bent over and began prodding at the plant, "Is this meat?"

Adrina sniffed and turned to her brother, shaking her head. "Don't thi-" However her statement was abruptly interuptted by Liors surprised howl.

"That stuffs nasty." He complained. "I told ya so." She howled out in laughter before padding off to join Lorcan and Amour in a lush green grove shaded by many trees.

"Alban..!" Lorcan growled sternly. Stifling laughter after seeing Liors contorted face as he walked over to her, his tail submissively tucked between his legs. Her paw cuffed him on the head as she looked down at him, "You don't know what that plant could've done to you. It might've been posionous."

"I'm sorry Mom." Lior winced apologetically, hoping not to get cuffed again. This time she licked his head affectionately with her rough tongue. Lior nuzzled his mother and bit down on her ear playfully. The trio tossled like this throughout the afternoon. Catching the attention of a varied audience of other forest animals. Amour watched from the distance, longing for that feeling of being loved. Loved the way a pup loves its mother or to feel that emotion of how a mother loves her pup. The feeling of how she loved her pups had been brief but it was a moment she'd never want to forget. Amour walked away leaving them alone for awhile.

She darted through the woods and to a nearby peak that if followed would lead to her old packlands. Her siloutte cast a long shadow along the empty plain below her. She could feel hot tears running down her cheeks. Amour knew that she could've went to the Sark and began the forgetting. She'd forget about her past love, her dead malcadh pups and her past life. A fresh start in some terms, but to her it was just burying the past. Nothing would go away, it would just be blocked from her memory.

But she didn't want to forget, she didn't want to start again. She didn't want to forget about the beautiful loving relationship she had with her mate Remiel. How they first met, how there connection had been made, the wonderful pups they'd made. There was nothing she wanted to forget, she just wanted it back.

Throwing her head back, Amour howled a mournful song into the air.

'I'm missing you tonight

till I finally close my eyes

I am caught up in this moment

so caught up

cause you're right here by my side

you always did bring out the best in me

that part of me has died

I know i couldn't even live my life

without you but I tried

and to think that I'm all you wanted

well you got all of me this time

and I'm ready to give this one more chance

as long as you're willing to try'

The howl eeriely echoed throughout the plains, it was a sad reminder of the pain that dwelled inside of Amour. She turned away with her head hanging low to the ground, tail drooping. 

A loud caterwaul broke the depressing silence of the woods. It was the sound of Evori. Amour swiveled her head around and tried to make out where the sound was coming from. She broke out into attack speed and jolted into the woods. She doved through a thick bush and twisted herself around. A large ferocious male lynx had found Adrina alone in the woods looking for Amour. Her body hung limp on the ground, a long painful looking gash on her right side. Blood seeped out of the fresh wound like a river. Amour's lunged forward with great ferocity. She had nothing left in the world, and if she would die, she was going to go down fighting.

A/N- Sorry for not updating in a while. As I said we're really busy with moving x_x Cliff hangers! Yay! If you enjoy rate, comment, or vote :3 And thanks to all who have beens supportive of this story. I really appreciate it.

P.S Can you guess who the two wolves in the picture are?