Wolves of the Beyond: Mystery of You

Wolves of the Beyond (c) Kathryn Lasky

OC's (c) HiddenWolf

Lyrics (c) B.D.A

                                                                   Wolves of the Beyond

                                                                        Mystery of You  

                                You are the great mystery, Calling me endlessly deeper into you,

                                                 I could never unravel the mystery of you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moonshine washed over the woodland, causing a abstruce appearance to it all. Running amongst the quiet wood was a mysterious feline silhouette figure loping through the forest. Almost as mysterious as a flower illuminated by the moonlight.

The crunching of the frigid snow underpaw was the only sound to be heard other than silence. There were brief moments when the yelping of the puppies could be made out through the crunching and the deep heavy panting of the exhausted feline. She had been running for a lengthy time and finally she was wearing out. Her lopes had turned into agile strides through the woods. They soon fully slowed down to a steady walk. The feline pushed aside a fallen tree branch and entered through a small hole in the ground. Gently she placed down Adrina and Lior onto the cool, frosty ground and licked them with her coarse tongue, a poor attempt at warming them up from the long journey here.

The den like area wasn't like a traditional wolf den, but sheltered underneath a fallen tree. It must've fallen years ago because it was aged and worn from years of being open to the elements. The tree was craved out and made a roof like structure that protected the pups from the elements such as rain and snow. And the outside part had a wall of dirt surrounding it and was shaded by a thick set of vines growing over top. Just enough to let the shine of the moon flow in through the cracks.

The feline curled herself up next to them as the pups huddled close to her belly as they would their own mother that, bless her heart, was no longer with them. This feline, or better known as a lynx, was their only guardian in the world and from the looks of it. A wolf pack would not accept them if she let them up so soon. They would be returned out into the wilderness to be picked off by hungry predators.

Adrina wriggled herself about until she felt content against the thick wild hair she clutched to. This wasn't her mother or the milk giver she had cuddled with even in her last moments, this was another creature. But the creature didn't harm them, infact she gave them warmth and maybe if they waited until morn, milk. Would this be the new milk giver? A replacement milk giver?

"Still pup. Your safe with me." She reassured, licking the restless she pup. "I'll be your protector from this harsh world. Don't fret; cause I'll be by your side," The lynx paused and looked at the two pups. Who yet, both blind were very attentive and lively. ",I'm known as Lorcan and you to, well... I don't know what I shall call you two. Your mother must've named you to.. but what?" Lorcan tried to think of a name to call them. "Alban... I've always wanted a boy named Alban." She curled her lips into a toothy grin and turned to Adrina. "Evori.." It was such a pretty name that Locan's own mother wished to name her as a young cub. The name rolled off of her tongue so clearly and smoothly as if it was Adrina's original birthname, as if it was meant to be her name.

Together both Locan, Adrina and Lior buddled close, coming so close they looked like one furry ball. The night would bring a frigid blizzard that would surely have them buried by next morning in a thick sheet of frosty snow. Locan took it upon herself to make sure to try her best at keeping them secure and snug. Most animals by now would have picked off these helpless puppies and eaten them but they were given a second chance by their mother and now were taken in by a lynx. A taboo relationship occured between the two that dared break the traditional chain of the circle of life.

A/N- So sorry for such the long wait and short chapter. But I didn't want to leave you guys waiting for a while. I promise I'll write more but the next chapter might not come for awhile because we're getting ready to move and we have lots todo.