12. Cancer

Cancer: The Crab of the Zodiac

Cancer, the fourth sign of the zodiac, is an astrological and symbolic representation of emotions, nurturing, and home life. In this informative essay, we will delve into the historical significance, astrological attributes, and unique qualities associated with the Cancer sign.

Historical Significance:
The symbol of Cancer, the Crab, has its roots in ancient mythology, particularly in Greek and Roman traditions. It is often associated with the story of Hercules and the Twelve Labors. During one of these labors, Hercules fought the Lernaean Hydra, a many-headed serpent, with the assistance of a crab sent by the goddess Hera. Hera placed the crab among the stars to honor its efforts, and this crab became the constellation Cancer.

Astrological Attributes:
People born under the sign of Cancer (June 21 - July 22) are known for their strong emotional depth, sensitivity, and nurturing qualities. Ruled by the Moon, they are often deeply connected to their family and home life. Cancer individuals are intuitive and empathetic, making them excellent caregivers and listeners. However, they can also be prone to mood swings and a tendency to retreat into their shells when faced with emotional challenges.

Celestial Significance:
The constellation Cancer is relatively faint and not as visually striking as some other zodiac constellations. It is located in the region of the sky known as the Zodiac, which the Sun, Moon, and planets traverse during their apparent path across the heavens. The Crab's position in this celestial belt represents its significance in astrology.

Cancer, the Crab of the zodiac, embodies the themes of emotion, family, and nurturing. Its connection to Greek mythology and its astrological attributes make it a symbol of depth and empathy. Whether viewed through the lens of ancient legends or explored through the practice of astrology, Cancer serves as a reminder of the profound influence of our emotional lives on our journey through the cosmos.

𓈒 𓂃  ˖ 𓇬 ˖  𓂃 𓈒

Pantuns

Topic: Journey

Staring at the dark night sky, finally free,
Lovely travelling, exploring the stars, feeling so much glee.
The hard journey of my evicted soul, ended at the site of family,
Saw they're standing by my one-day-old grave, gloomily.

.

Topic: Friendship

Silently comforting my beloved friends as they cry,
For my embrace and presence, they're willing to try.
It's been twenty years since I lost myself to murder,
Today they brought me justice as our bond is stronger.

𓈒 𓂃  ˖ 𓇬 ˖  𓂃 𓈒

Pantun

A Pantun is a traditional form of poetry originating from the Malay archipelago, particularly Malaysia and Indonesia. This poetic form is characterized by its unique structure, rhyme scheme, and cultural significance. Pantuns consist of quatrains, which are four-line stanzas, and they often explore themes of love, nature, folklore, and daily life.

What sets Pantun apart is its intricate rhyme scheme. In each stanza, the second and fourth lines rhyme with the first and third lines of the following stanza, creating a captivating interlocking pattern. This musical quality lends a distinct charm to Pantun verses, making them both engaging and memorable.

Historically, Pantun has deep roots in Malay culture, dating back centuries. Initially an oral tradition, it evolved into a written form as Malay literature developed over time. Pantuns have been used to pass down stories, wisdom, and traditions from one generation to another, making them a valuable cultural asset.

In the modern world, the Pantun remains relevant and continues to evolve. It has transcended geographical boundaries, influencing poetry in neighboring countries and even finding expression in languages beyond Malay. Contemporary poets use Pantun to address a wide range of themes, from traditional to contemporary, ensuring that this poetic tradition remains vibrant and cherished in today's literary landscape.

Notable figures in the world of Pantun poetry include Hamzah Fansuri, a 16th-century Malay poet, and Chairil Anwar, a renowned Indonesian writer of the 20th century. Their works have left an indelible mark on the Pantun tradition, inspiring generations of poets and readers alike.

Pantun poetry comes in various forms, with the two most common types being the "Pantun Melayu" and the "Pantun Cacian." The Pantun Melayu represents the traditional and classic form, often characterized by its elegant and thoughtful themes. In contrast, the Pantun Cacian is a more playful variation, often used for humor, satire, or light-hearted banter. These two types showcase the versatility of the Pantun, allowing it to convey a wide range of emotions and tones.

Let's explore the different types of Pantun, including 16-line and 8-line variations:

1. Pantun 16 Lines:

The Pantun 16 lines, also known as "Pantun Enam Belas Larik" or "Pantun Panjang," is an extended form of Pantun poetry. It consists of four quatrains (four-line stanzas) with a more intricate structure. In this variation, the second and fourth lines of each stanza rhyme with the first and third lines of the following stanza, just like in the traditional Pantun. The extra length allows for a more in-depth exploration of themes and storytelling. Pantun 16 lines provides ample space for poets to develop complex narratives and emotions within the framework of Pantun.

2. Pantun 8 Lines:

The Pantun 8 lines, also known as "Pantun Delapan Larik," is a shorter version of Pantun poetry. It consists of two quatrains, resulting in eight lines in total. The same rhyme scheme rules apply, with the second and fourth lines of each stanza rhyming with the first and third lines of the following stanza. This condensed format is often used for concise expressions of thoughts, emotions, or ideas. Pantun 8 lines is ideal for capturing a moment, conveying a brief sentiment, or delivering a punchy message.

Types of Pantun Explained:

a. Pantun Melayu: This is the classic and traditional Pantun form, marked by its elegance and depth. Pantun Melayu often explores themes of love, nature, and cultural values, reflecting the rich heritage of Malay literature.

b. Pantun Cacian: Pantun Cacian, on the other hand, is a playful and humorous variation. It is used for light-hearted banter, satire, or witty exchanges. This form allows poets to inject humor and wit into their verses.

c. Pantun Kiasan: Pantun Kiasan, or metaphorical Pantun, adds a layer of symbolism and metaphor to the poetry. It uses indirect language to convey deeper meanings and emotions, challenging readers to decipher the hidden messages.

d. Pantun Pendek: Pantun Pendek, meaning "short Pantun," is a brief and concise form of Pantun. It typically consists of only one or two quatrains and is often used for quick expressions of emotion or ideas.

e. Pantun Modern: In contemporary times, poets have adapted the Pantun form to address a wide range of themes, from social and political issues to personal reflections. Modern Pantuns showcase the continued relevance and adaptability of this poetic tradition in today's world.

These variations of Pantun highlight its versatility and enduring appeal, making it a cherished form of poetry in the Malay world and beyond. Whether long or short, traditional or modern, Pantun continues to captivate poets and readers with its interlocking rhymes and rich cultural heritage.

Ardra