Chapter 8: Stolen Rings

Klaus Mikaelson walked into their shared room after taking a shower. He had sweatpants, a t-shirt and socks on, and his hair was still wet.

Percy was grinning excitedly. "Hey, Nikkie!" She had a surprise planned out for him.

He raised an eyebrow in amusement and his eyes noticed the gift bag next to her. "Hello, love."

She picked up the bag and held it out towards him with both hands. "I got you a present."

Something about her smile told him he should be worried.

But the idea of receiving a present made him a bit excited nonetheless so he stepped forward.

Once he was close enough, he gently took the gift bag from her.

Before opening it, he looked back up at Percy. She still had a smile on her face and she gestured for him to open it.

Without further ado, he opened the bag and took the wrapping paper out.

He was confused and tilted his head to the side.

"Percy, my love?"

"Mm-hm?"

He just stared at the inside of the bag. "Please do tell me these are for Rudy."

She laughed. "No, they're for you." For emphasis she added, "Duh."

His jaw tightened as though he wasn't happy with the present.

"Really?" He reached in and pulled out a collar, a leash and a dog toy from the bag.

Percy rolled across the bed as laughter took over her whole body.

He sat down on the bed to be closer to her. It was hard for him not to smile just a little bit at the sight of her laughing.

"Persephone," he called her softly.

Despite the situation, he still said her name like it was his favorite word in the dictionary. He drew it out like he was savoring it, like he liked being able to say it. He said it like each consonant and vowel had meaning, and the name was a form of poetry.

"I love you." He told her.

Her face softened but the smile stayed in place, "I love you too."

And suddenly she forgot about the collar and the leash and the dog toy and she could only focus on him.

But he did not forget.

"Why?" The hybrid asked.

She was confused. "Why do I love you?"

"Well that too, but I meant why did you buy me...these horrendous things?" He said the last few words so dramatically in his cute British accent.

She snorted. "You mean, you don't like the present I picked out for you?"

"Believe it or not, it's not exactly my style."