Chapter 09// Captured

I felt like I could fall at any moment. Any moment in time, I could fall, and it would be the end. I wouldn't be able to fight HYDRA, because I'd be stuck in HYDRA. My feet were fast flying under me as I struggled, despite the fact I was faster than everyone else, to keep my balance. I don't think I ever realized until now how much balance it takes to keep going. We weren't going fast enough though.
HYDRA agents drop down from everywhere, surrounding Kristina, me, and the mutants. We all stop, some running into each other and others falling. We're surrounded.
"Surrender yourself or face immediate expulsion," one soldier says as everyone, besides me, holds up their hands.
"Let them go, take me, but let them go," I order, trying to guard everyone. I notice Kristina look at me like I'm an idiot, but I don't care. HYDRA is not going to win again.
"We can not do that," the agent replies.
"Okay then," I answer. Before they know it, my left arm flings over one of the trees, the collapse knocking several agents over and the rest being barricaded. "RUN!" I scream. We all start running again, I only bought us time, the escape is what really matters. If I'm right, soon Tony would have gotten keys from a guard and gotten the rest of the mutants out and free, and Brent would help start our ship to safety.
I run and jump over logs and branches, trying to find a way out.
"Where are we going?" Sophia yells at me.
"There," I point towards a door that I had just noticed. We all sprint over, only to find it locked. "Damn it," I swear, kicking the ground. The sound of HYDRA agents surrounds us in the background, the feeling of dread overtaking all of us.
"Only experienced hacker could break the lock on this thing and even then one of us would have to stay behind to keep it open, it requires someone there all the time," Sophia says, running her hands over a metal touchpad that keeps the door locked. I sigh, wishing there was another way out when someone speaks up.
"I'll do it," Kristina mumbles as I turn to look at her.
"What?"
"I'll do it, I'll unlock and stay behind," she says louder this time, standing up straighter. I grab her arm and drag her to the side.
"What are you doing?" I whisper at her as she looks at me.
"I'm doing my job," she says back at me.
"And your job is to get caught or worse killed?"
"My job is to protect the people, I stepped in here knowing that. Having everyone, having you, get to safety, that's what matters to me," she exclaims, her eyebrows raised as she looks at me.
"I don't want you to get hurt."
"I'll always be here for you Bucky, 'till the end of the line'" Kristina grins as I let go of her arm. She heads over to the keypad and quickly types in several codes. The door opens and the alarms start blaring, signaling someone, or multiple someone's are leaving. I see the HYDRA agents in the distance as everyone starts filing through the door. I had to go, but quickly I turn back as I remember Kristina won't be coming with me.
"Let me take over the keypad," I say, trying to move her aside.
"This is my job."
"Kristina, I can't let you-"
"James Buchanan Barnes if you don't let me do this I will never forgive you," she snaps, not moving away from the touchpad. In a spur of the moment decision, I lean down and kiss Kristina, my hand on her cheek, before pulling away.
"I will see you again Hacker," I smile as she smiles, a sad smile, back at me. Because we both know, that if we were to see each other again, it wouldn't be anytime soon. I run out the door, leaving Kristina behind, only to hear the shouts of HYDRA right with her.

Kristina's POV

The room was dark and cold. My wrists were strapped down with metal, cold and piercing my skin. My whole body was strapped to a table. I blinked my weary eyes, adjusting them to the place I was in. After everyone left, HYDRA grabbed me, but that's all I remembered. Now I don't know where I was.
"Aw, you're awake," a man says. I turn my head to the left to see a tall, thin man in a white lab coat smiling at me. "I was beginning to think you were a snoozer."
"Where am I?" I ask, fear chilling my bones.
"Well, I can't exactly tell you that. I can tell you that by midnight you won't be yourself anymore, you'll be a prized HYDRA experiment," he grins, in a way that makes me feel more like prey than an actual experiment. I didn't like the way he spoke at all.
"I don't remember signing up for that," I remark.
"Oh, a sassy one, even better. Now as much as I'd love to chat, we need to get started. This might hurt. Actually, it will hurt. Good luck," he turns to grab something, but I stop him.
"Can you tell me what you're going to be doing to me?" I inquire, the dread of what I already expect clenching my heart.
"Of course my dear. We'll be erasing your memories and rewriting your DNA. Of course, since your DNA is not meant to be the way we want it, you will probably die maximum a month. It would be great if it were longer though," he mumbles as my eyes widen. Even though I know it's stupid, I try to fight against the restraints. I can't lose my memories, I can't forget my friends. I can't forget Bucky.
"Why me?" I whimper, disappointed that I sound weak.
"It was always going to be you. Ever since you were young, we knew you would be our prize creation. And before I forget, your sister was a casualty that was meant to happen," he laughs as I swear at him, trying to get out of the chains on me. He starts the machine, needles piercing my skin, a band wrapping my forehead, everything become tighter and worse. Soon my body was burning like someone was breaking every bone, every cell, and re-making it into an entirely different thing. I screamed, I screamed until my voice was hoarse. I cried until I made no sound. I yelled so much I passed out. And when I woke, I didn't even remember what I was screaming about.

I was planning that from the beginning.

I'm only planning on there being I think one chapter left :(

I'll miss these characters, but I hope you have enjoyed the story.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

xoxo Gillian