Longing To Live In Reality

TW for severe derealization, anger issues, and hallucinations

"This is literally the third day that Hunter hasn't been at school this week. Where IS he?" Gus asked the group as they sat at lunch. He was met with shrugs from Amity and Willow.

"I hope he's doing okay, he hasn't been in gym all week. We're in our Grudgby unit and he's missing out!" Willow piped in.

"Something's wrong. Hunter's never been the most talkative ever, but he does like to talk, at least to us... He's been so quiet lately" Amity pointed out.

"I haven't wanted to mention anything, but Amity's right..." Willow agreed.

Gus nodded, scratching his chin in thought. "He spaces out all the time in class, and I see him nodding off too. Teachers are starting to get pissed at him."

"Maybe Luz knows something that we don't. He comes over to sleep at Mrs. Noceda's house pretty much every weekend, or at least that's what Luz told me when I saw her last," Amity added.

Willow shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "It's not good to pry, but..."

"He's our friend, and we should know what's going on so we can help him!" Gus finished the thought. The others nodded.

Meanwhile, the teenager in question sat in bed at Darius's, staring at a little orange medication bottle clutched in his hands. The owner of the house had left earlier in the morning to assist with a team of Construction Coven witches who were rebuilding a strip of houses down by the Titan's hip.

"How hard is it to take a silly little pill, Hunter? You've been staring at it for the last three hours. It's not going to kill you, for Titan's sake." Belos's stupid fucking head jeered at him.

"It feels like it's killing me."

A sigh from his Uncle made Hunter roll his eyes. "You were always one for the dramatics. Missing school, forcing your caretakers to worry, lying to your friends and your expensive therapist. You're really digging your own grave here."

Hunter bit his tongue instead of replying. He took his medication, packed his school bag, and forced himself out of the house to attend the last few hours of school. When Darius asked him how his classes were that night, Hunter lied and said that they were great.

In truth, he was so spaced out that he hardly remembered any of the things he'd done that day, other than take his medication and try to force himself to look normal. It was getting harder. The numbness and anger tangling itself between his neurons grew worse with every passing day.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Every therapy session started the same.

"How are you doing today, Hunter?" Mrs. Rose spoke in her soft, gentle tone. Hunter hated that tone.

"I'm doing fine, how are you?"

"I am well, thanks for asking. How has this week been for you?"