Since the Beginning

"I just need someone to tell me how it is possible that none of your staff noticed that he was being given the wrong dosage!"

"We understand your frustration Mr. Deamonne, and on behalf of all of the staff in this facility, we sincerely apologize."

"Yes, I appreciate the apology, but it doesn't fix the problem at hand. That kid was already so messed up, and with your little mistake , I worry that he'll never be normal again!"

The conversation went on and on, around and around in circles. The staff at the ward would apologize, offer no solutions, and leave an empty apology to fester in the air. Eventually, they offered some monetary compensation, of which Darius chose not to accept. He had absolutely no concept of how much money one was supposed to receive as a result of a mistake as big as the one at hand.

When he stalked out to the car where Camila was waiting, Darius had to take several deep breaths before throwing the door open.

"So?" Camila asked, though she already knew the answer.

"Ugh, these humans are infuriating. I just don't know how to put up with them!" Darius pouted, arms petulantly crossed across his chest.

"Hey, might I remind you that I'm one of those humans you speak so lowly of?" Camila pointed out with a touch of fondness in her voice.

"I don't mean you or Luz, just everybody else. But you see my point, right?"

"Sí señor, I do. This is a very frustrating situation. We just need to keep fighting for what is right, even if it's hard." The woman encouraged while shaking her head, loose curls bouncing softly.

"I don't even know what I believe is right anymore, Camila. I thought that by bringing him here and getting him meds, I was doing the right thing. But now Hunter's even worse off, and his recovery will take even longer..."

"Recovery is something you and he will spend your whole lives doing, Darius. You never 'stop' recovering. It gets easier, sure, but you gotta work at it every day. When my husband passed away, I had to learn how to move forward without him. I carry the sadness of his death every day, but now I know how to live with it, work with it, and grow with it. Hunter will be the same, it will just take time."

"...I guess you're right. I just want him to be okay." The Coven head replied after a long, thoughtful pause.

Camila smiled. "I want you to be okay, too!"

"Me too. I've been looking into therapy. I think it would be good to try, especially so that I can see what it's like for Hunter's sake. Maybe if he sees me do it, he'll be more comfortable in his own sessions."

"I think that's a great idea."

They chatted in her car for a little longer. Their conversations provided a moment for them both to breathe and reflect, which was especially vital on the days that Hunter struggled the most.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The boy himself was having a hell of a time getting his feet back under him. Slowly, his memory was becoming more reliable and consistent... but he still had moments where he couldn't recall several hours at a time.

Hunter was also grappling with the news that the hospital staff had told him: From accidentally being overdosed on Sertraline, to bleeding out internally through his stomach, and severe bouts of amnesia, this news was not exactly treating him well. It didn't help that during the earliest stages of his recovery, he'd forgotten that they'd informed him of all of this. His doctors had to retell him several times.

Keeping track of time was perhaps the most difficult task. As the bleeding in his stomach began to improve with the absence of Sertraline, he began to experience severe withdrawal symptoms. The hospital's plan was to allow his stomach to heal up, and then put him to take a very low dose of Sertraline, and eventually wean him off the medication.