5. Dark One

Nalfain

Where is that blasted vampire? I prop myself up on my elbows, resting my chin in hand as I stare at the bedroom door impatiently. Our room is nice and dark, just the way I like it.

Our room..I loathe to even admit it! It's small and anything but extravagant—not like the private chamber I was accustomed to in my homeland. I belonged to a ruling house, had been a noble once, but much has changed. Instead I now share my sacred space with the vampire, Bradley. As far as I am concerned, he may "go fuck himself", as the humans say. I'm not sure how long I've been staying with him now—time passes strangely here on the Surface, and believe it due to the sheer boredom I am subjected to!There is no one to fight, or plot against, no skulls to split open, or hearts to remove. I crave chaos, but the human world has rules that prevent this basic desire. Bradley tells me humans are punished for harming or killing one another, which is strange, if you ask me. They seem to have the routine habit of being a cruel race, prone to violence and hatred, yet Bradley insists these things are not their only overwhelming trait. I hate humans and find them to be a frail, lesser species. The only thing I hate more than humans are the surface Elves, my fair-skinned "kin," and to bathe in their blood would be a most wicked delight.

I chuckle darkly to myself as I imagine my blade slicing into Fae flesh, and it's a glorious thought. Recently, I expressed to the vampire that one human kill a week would satiate me, but he refused and claimed this would be "serial killer behavior." I am not sure what that means, but I have continued to petition him with my request weekly. Bradley continues to deny it, but I do not understand why. Why protect the humans?

After all, he feeds off them, and complains about them daily after he returns from his "shift."
Bradley choose to work with humans daily, and I do not know how he copes. He told me of one human female last evening, a "Karen", which I've come to understand is a terrible sub-species of human which he had to "process" for her crime. Bradley explained the Karen would not stop it's incessant shrieking—he said it gave him a headache. I queried why he'd not cut her tongue out, but he informed me this too is "illegal", which I understand to be a human word for breaking human laws.

"Wholly boring and inconvenient." I mutter aloud, blooming a small plume of faerie fire in my palm. It's violet light, cool and unobtrusive to my sensitive eyes. Blowing gently, I watch as it floats up to the ceiling, illuminating the room. Exhaling impatiently, I roll over and grab the device Bradley gave me to communicate when he is away. Cell phone. Bradley says that this device causes him to "doom scroll", and apparently the spell is paralyzing. I do not wish to be paralyzed, so I utilize it to speak with him only. I unlock the device with it's magic screen, scrolling to the place where his name is written. I press the name, and it begins the magic to summon him; though why it emits this strange ringing noise, I am unsure.
Tapping my fingers, I wait impatiently for him to respond.

"What now, Nal?" his deep voice comes through the device.

"You promised me a coffee. It has been too long. Where are you?" I hiss. Bradley has the audacity to groan at my words, but he is the late one!

Damn that vampire.

"It's only been like ten minutes Nal, calm your tits. I ran into a problem."

"I do not care! My 'ass' as you say hurts from last evening and I am tired. It is your job to serve me, I earned it. Now bring the drink." I snarl, lobbing the device into the wall. Damn him.

Why do I put up with the vampires antics?
Does he not remember who I am? I roll to my back, watching the faerie fire drift around with the air current. This life I now live is strange, and I do not know what to do with myself.
Humans live strangely. Some kill and maim one another daily, yet most live short peaceful lives according to Bradley. Many make offspring because it pleases them, which is quite curious. My kind reproduce out of necessity, not because we want offspring. Bradley says the females and males typically rear their own offspring to adulthood, which is even stranger. He said some females rear their offspring without a male, some males rear offspring together, some females rear offspring together.