Touch of Honor: A Red Web - Chapter 2

The two men traveled along the hidden path until they came across a river going north.

     Spruce led in front and turned his gait in the direction the river flowed from.

      Lemli noticed that the human monk moved with exceptional grace and swiftness. The monk's feet barely made impressions on the ground, whereas Lemli left large imprints from his silver boots, which were worsened by the mud.

     The high afternoon sun beat down upon the travelers as they progressed up the river bank.

      Lemli envied the human's choice of apparel. They were hungry, or at least Lemli was, and they were beginning to tire. Lemli quickened his pace and passed Spruce, continuing to lead in front.

      They did not share many words during their trek. Only once or twice did they share a glance or an inquiring look at one another.

      Spruce followed and admired the greenery and beauty of the flowing water instead of stirring conversation. Where it would usually take a great effort to stop Spruce from taking, he simply didn't find the elf interesting enough to talk with. A boorish oaf. He thought. A real "live by the sword" type. He walks funny too.

      Lemli and Spruce followed the river for just under five miles where they would come across what could only be assumed to be Clurgmow hideout. The river led to an open area of grass to the right and a thicket to the left, off the river bed. The water flowed from a cave's mouth which was screened by a thicket of tree branches and bushes. The cave sat upon a yellow grass hill, a good size up with climbable stones placed there to serve as stairs to its sloppy entrance.

     Two goblins stood outside the cave on either side of its opening. They were presumably keeping watch, however doing a poor job. They both were lost, admiring the sky, heads raised, murmuring to one another. One had its arm outstretched pointing a stubby green finger to the sky's gray cotton, examining the clouds. Each had a short bow and quiver of arrows strapped to its chest.

     The two men crouched beside the riverbed a good distance from the cave, where they found a bush large enough to conceal them. While Spruce kept low and was well hidden, Lemli in bulky armaments may have found better stealth hiding behind a steel pole.

     After examining the two watchmen, Lemli came to a conclusion. Take them by surprise, raid the cave, retrieve the dwarf's gold. He stood to initiate his foolproof plan and grabbed the hilt of his blade, still sheathed along his waist.

     Spruce reached out a hand and grabbed the elf by the shoulder. "You look as though you've hatched a brilliant plan. I take it, you have one then?" He asked, passing as one insulted for not being spoken to.

     "I plan to retrieve our pay." Lemli said, removing the monk's hand from his shoulder plate.

     "How could an elf be so short sighted? There could be dozens of them in there. We should do things quickly and quietly. In and out, just like that." He said, snapping his fingers.

     "What do you suggest?" Lemli asked in a patronizing tone as he pursed his lips. 

     "Watch where you stand elf, you wouldn't want to get wet. I don't want you to be any slower."

     Lemli felt a twitch in his left eye as he gave the monk a lifeless glare.

     Spruce smiled as he stood, quickly and with near silence. He surveyed the ground along the river bed, searching for and then finding a thin rock. He eyed the two goblins, who were now staring aimlessly into the river. Spruce straightened his posture after not a single hint of the goblins noticing him.